Tasty lil fingers?

blackened

Hello everyone, we've had our female veiled for 4 weeks today. Although we've never handled her she doesn't seem too worried about our hands being close. She has hand fed a few times.

So tonight I thought I may try stroking her chin. Slowly I opened her door and gradually moved my hand toward her, leaving a few inches gap. Then i could gage her reaction. Now, I've seen lots of YouTube videos of people harassing their chams by sticking cameras in their face or grabbing at them - they all puff out, gape, put their hands together, display darker colours and hiss before snapping. Our Teal'c did none of this. After my hand had been there a couple of minutes she quickly and calmly leaned forward (we thought she was going to climb out) and snapped at my fingers.

It struck me that her actions seemed less like aggression and more like feeding. I did keep my fingers together to make them look less like 'worms'.

However, I took it as a 'leave me alone' gesture and promptly did so.

Any thoughts?

It doesnt sound like she was tring to bite you, she just thought you were
something to eat!!??
I have a young male veiled, and he is exactly the same way.
He pays no attention when i am doing stuff in his cage and will even let me
hand feed him and get my hand a few inches from him (2 inches seems to be his "comfort zone").

But if i try to get him to climb on my finger, or in any way breach his comfort zone, he just slowly turns and walks away slowly, no puffing up or anything like that, just walk away and come back when I am gone!! ;)

He did once put his foot on my finger when i inticed him with his "cheesecake", a yummy wax worm (that's like cheating!!LOL) in the flat palm of my hand, and he wasted no time going after it, totally disregarding my hand being there.

After he snagged and ate it, he was like, 'oh no!!' I'm on the giant's finger!! and he, ever so slowly, backed off while studying me all the way!! LOL

Tee hee, good stories. Good to know we're not the only ones. I just found it interesting that there were no signs of getting upset.

@AllFallDown - I'm sure they appreciate it on some level, even if they don't show it... or look like they do :). Still love their little grumpy faces :D

@Psychobunny - sounds like our chams have a similar temperament. I figure it's ok to keep trying as long as it's not causing stress to them.

My little girl Angel will now eat out of a cup while I hold it. She's the only 1 out of the 2 that will actually let me hold her. She has hissed at me before but hasn't snapped at me... Yet. Our male has snapped at my husband before and he's puffed and gasped at me once. Bbut I don't handle them but once a week now since our male fell twice in one day trying to run from me.

Back
Top Bottom