swollen toe

HawaiianCham

I found a cham a few weeks ago and decided to keep him. He has a swollen toe on his hind leg. The skin just around the nail is dark black but the toe itself is not discolored; it's still green/gray just swollen. Another toe on his other back leg looks to be dark black around the nail area too. What is causing it and how can I help him?

:confused:

Picture of swollen toe

Here's a picture of his toe. I took it today after soaking him in warm water and washing it with Hibiclense (at the suggestion of another cham owner). After the soak, the toe took on a more grayish/white color than it was before he took a bath.

It was also suggested that I clean the nail area where it was dark black.

Any ideas what to do?:confused:

Attachments

• swollen toe.JPG
    swollen toe.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 212
I dont have much experience in this area but it looks like an abcess to me. Maybe u need antibiotics?

It could be an infection. If it is it needs to be cleaned out and a culture and sensitivity test done so that the appropriate antibiotic can be prescribed.

It could be an infection. If it is it needs to be cleaned out and a culture and sensitivity test done so that the appropriate antibiotic can be prescribed.

I would have to agree...You may need to take this cham to the vet for antibiotics. ;)

I hope all is going well. Keep us posted on you chams disposition.:cool:

OPI

Oooh! The little fella needs a trip to the vet. Could be an infected pulled out toenail? Was it like this when you brought him home? Good luck!

Yea, I figured the little guy would have to go see the doctor. I think it might have to do with when he was running quickly across the asphalt road. He was trying to get away from some birds that were trying to peck and carry him off. He had some nasty scrapes and scratches on his back when I found him but it healed up nicely over a short period - about a week. He's got some scarring but nothing severe. The toe thing though... yea, I'll phone the vet ASAP.

Thanks everybody!!

Yea, I figured the little guy would have to go see the doctor. I think it might have to do with when he was running quickly across the asphalt road. He was trying to get away from some birds that were trying to peck and carry him off. He had some nasty scrapes and scratches on his back when I found him but it healed up nicely over a short period - about a week. He's got some scarring but nothing severe. The toe thing though... yea, I'll phone the vet ASAP.

Thanks everybody!!

Good luck! keep us posted!

Just an update on my cham's toe. According to a friend who apparently sees a lot of "runaway chams" the whole injured toe thing is common. I guess they get it from the asphalt or birds pecking at their feet. Anway, he suggested that I soak it in warm water and Hibiclense. The swelling went down, the color was fine, and function was back but the one toe fell off. I figured the loss of a toe was better than the loss of his whole foot!

Back
Top Bottom