Swollen Eyeball (not from cleaning)

Psi

Hey,

This just happened about 2 days ago, was putting in a male to breed this female, but she wasn't allowing it, so I separated them and the next day she started to progressively get worse around her eye.
She has occasionally been rubbing it against some of the ficus branches.
It hasn't effected her food or water intake.

Need to know if anyone has dealt with this before so I can tell my vet what meds I need (I get them on demand, he's just not a dedicated reptile vet).

I'll fill this out for the heck of it

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Panther Female ~ 2 years old, in my care 1 year
* Handling - Next to never.
* Feeding - Crickets/supers, she wont eat silks or butters.
* Supplements - Zoomed calcium with d3 x5 + alternating weekends of reptivite.
* Watering - Mistking 6x per day.
* Fecal Description - Normal, White.
* History - She always had some health problems from when I got her.
Originally had a respiratory infection that I've dealt with.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 16x16x30 reptibreeze
* Lighting - Reptisun 5 putting out ~ 20-25 at basking spots.
* Temperature - Basking 85-88, ambient ~72-74. Night store heat is set at 70, usually doesn't drop below 72.
* Humidity - No clue lol.
* Plants - Umbrella Plant / Ficus(mostly just sticks now)
* Placement - Top of cage is ~8ft, low visibility to anything other then back room.
* Location - Ontario

Current Problem - Problem as described early + Picture :)

Attachments

• be female.jpg
    be female.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 114
You might have to wait until tonight when more people come on. I hope you have good look clearing it up. For now I would just spray it a lot. It you have any terramycin (eye ointment) use that. It is for eye infections and can be purchased at a lot of animal places without a prescription. I get mine at a feed store.

You might have to wait until tonight when more people come on. I hope you have good look clearing it up. For now I would just spray it a lot. It you have any terramycin (eye ointment) use that. It is for eye infections and can be purchased at a lot of animal places without a prescription. I get mine at a feed store.

Oh right, good call.
Was meaning to get some of that to just have on hand at the store.
Now's definitely a good reason to pick some up.

Have you tried rinsing her eye out with saline solution a few times a day? She may have gotten something in her eye while rubbing it.

that's some serious edema.. i would get her in a shower for 15-30 minutes pronto. and personally, although other people probably have other ideas, i would just take her to a vet

Have you tried rinsing her eye out with saline solution a few times a day? She may have gotten something in her eye while rubbing it.

I've tried a rinse, it's only gotten larger so far.
Getting her into the vet tomorrow morning if she doesn't make any improvements.
I did see in another thread (https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-chameleon-girl-got-something-her-eyes-65201/) almost the exact same situation, the vet prescribed meds, they were administered, and the animal got worse.
The animal only ever improved after the drops were stopped.

It's definitely some sort of liquid in her eye turret, so I'm going to see if the vet will have a small enough syringe to drain it to try to help it out.

that's some serious edema
I've searched through most threads here involving edema, not one had anything related to it being in the eye.

sam is it possible she knocked off some of the leaves and got the thick sap from the ficus in that eye from rubbing?

Back
Top Bottom