Superworms Pupating

KingJulien

This is so cool. I put my superworms in a dark bin (made use of substrate I bought before I had a chance to research) 8-12, and today some are starting to pupate. I have just stashed them away at room temp in a mix of oats and wheat germ with a little saran wrap (small holes poked) held over the top with rubberbands. I was half expecting them to die, it seems so weird.

In the first one you can see that some of them are still regular looking superworms, and some are looking wider and shorter. I didn't want to disturb them too much, sorry for the blurry photo.

Attachments

• bugs 001.jpg
    bugs 001.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 97
  • bugs 003.jpg
    bugs 003.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 87
Seems like a lot of extra work. I used a tackle box, did not add any food or punch any wholes...the worms pupated within a week or two...I kept the beetles on oatmeal. After a month I took the beetles out and now I have hundreds of tiny worms hatching! :)

I hear ya. I poked around the garage for a tackle box but we didn't have one. So it was either a 2.99 box of cups at the grocery and stuff I already had or a trip to a specialty store and probably more money. Laziness always wins out. :p

Is this your first batch of supers? They seem pretty easy to care for, and my little guy really likes them. Do you know how long it takes after the first month to get to a good feeding size?

I'm wondering how often I will need to be starting a new box of supers to pupate.

Back
Top Bottom