superworms as a staple...how many?

So, I've read that a juvie should only eat 5-6 medium crickets a day. So about 3 superworms should do it? That doesn't seem like enough. My Rocky, the adopted one with mbd, will chow down 3 in no time.

A juvie only eating 5 to 6? I'd normally feed my juvies 15 and they'd eat them right up without throwing anything up.

At 7 to 9 months old my male veiled would eat 15 to 20 med. size crickets a day. Will you be giving him super worms only? It's better for them to have a variety. Jann

at 8 mo they should be eating around a dozen full grown crickets. so i would say 6 or so big supers would be in the ballpark, you just gotta monitor to see if they want more or not. every cham is a lil different.

Mine get a lot more than 5-6 medium crickets too. 5-6 is what I read here
http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/veiled-and-panther-chameleon-care-101d.html

I don't plan on using only supers but for Rocky, it's easier. The crickets get away from him & w/ the mbd he can't chase them. Because he can't climb very well, cup feeding doesn't really work with him.
As for the rest of them, I feed them as many crix as they will eat in a reasonable amout of time. Hammie is about 3-5 months & will eat between 15-20 med crix a day & probably more if I gave them to him. He doesn't seem to fill up! Henry isn't such a piggy like Hammie & will eat about 8 crix & a couple supers.
So, anyway, from what everyone else posted, I shouldn't go by the site I posted above?

Mine get a lot more than 5-6 medium crickets too. 5-6 is what I read here
http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/veiled-and-panther-chameleon-care-101d.html

I don't plan on using only supers but for Rocky, it's easier. The crickets get away from him & w/ the mbd he can't chase them. Because he can't climb very well, cup feeding doesn't really work with him.
As for the rest of them, I feed them as many crix as they will eat in a reasonable amout of time. Hammie is about 3-5 months & will eat between 15-20 med crix a day & probably more if I gave them to him. He doesn't seem to fill up! Henry isn't such a piggy like Hammie & will eat about 8 crix & a couple supers.
So, anyway, from what everyone else posted, I shouldn't go by the site I posted above?
If Rocky had/has MBD super worms probably aren't the best feeder because their calcium phosphorous ratio isn't that great. Are they being gut loaded, that makes the ratio a little more balanced, as well as dusting with calcium and not feeding him to many super worms (I wouldn't feed more than 4-5) or I'm afraid it may result in furthering the MBD. Silk worms have a much better calcium phosphorous ratio.

Hmmm .....

Not sure I completely agree with the suggested age/feeding schedule.
Certainly don't understand how over feeding causes MBD.:rolleyes:
At the age your veiled is I wouldn't worry too much about over feeding him.
If you had a female, I would have a different opinion ... but males tend to self regulate.
I agree that silkworms would be an excellent choice in addition to supers.
I would feel very comfortable if he was eating 3 decent sized, gut loaded feeders every other day, or even every two days.

-Brad

If Rocky had/has MBD super worms probably aren't the best feeder because their calcium phosphorous ratio isn't that great. Are they being gut loaded, that makes the ratio a little more balanced, as well as dusting with calcium and not feeding him to many super worms (I wouldn't feed more than 4-5) or I'm afraid it may result in furthering the MBD. Silk worms have a much better calcium phosphorous ratio.

Oh, they are definetly gut loaded & dusted. Rocky will usually eat 3-4 super worms a day.
I got thinking about it & I might be able to cup feed him after all. He spends most of his time up in the potted plant & I might be able to put a cup on the floor next to the plant if it's the right height. I'll have to try it out tomorrow. What size cup do I need for adult crix?

Back
Top Bottom