Superworm Impaction

mc9423

I've read a lot about superworms and impaction, yet I've been feeding my leopard gecko superworms as a staple daily, and many others do the same. So I'm confused as to why this is deemed a risk for chameleons?

I have not heard of impaction but I have seen a lizard take down one without chewing it and the superworm chewed its way out, I think that is the main risk with them.

ewww....

Way to add to my terror of those things....

My understanding is that superworms are not an impaction risk. Mealworms are.

As they have a similar appearance, and some people market their big mealworms as "mealworms: super worms" it gets confusing.

I had someone at a pet store tell me about the "chewing it's way out of the animal" thing, but I have to tell you that many, many people here use superworms as basic feeders in the diets of their chameleons...I'm pretty sure if "and then it chewed its way out of his stomach" had happened to any of them, that would not be true.

In regard to chewing its way out - superworms are horrible swimmers. Stomach acids kill the thing before it could chew out in the very unlikely event it wasn't dead/dieing going down.

Thanks for the info guys! :)

I've read a lot about superworms and impaction, yet I've been feeding my leopard gecko superworms as a staple daily, and many others do the same. So I'm confused as to why this is deemed a risk for chameleons?

Superworms are unlikely to cause impaction, so long as the chameleon is well hydrated. They should not form the major part of a chameleons diet though. A diet with a lot of mealworms is more likely to cause impaction issues. The Meat to chinton ratio is less meat and too much chinton with mealworms.

I have not heard of impaction but I have seen a lizard take down one without chewing it and the superworm chewed its way out, I think that is the main risk with them.

This is completely false. Superworms can not remain alive and chew their way out of stomachs. Neither can mealworms. Its just a silly story that wont go away.

superworms are not recommended for chameleon staples because of them being somewhat high in fat

Superworms are absolutely recommended.
Extremely easy to gut load, very nutritious and less chitinous than crickets.
Variety is ideal, but superworms can be a big part of the diet.

-Brad

Superworms are safe!!!! Aaenson, you truly saw this happen? What type of lizard did this happen to? I have fed off many superworms with no issue at all.

Superworms info. does seem inconsistant. Some say only as a snack, where others admit daily is fine. Some say they are extremely high in fat and cause impaction. As mentioned, I think much of the information about superworms is confused with mealworms. I agree that supers are gutloaded the same as crickets and my chameleons 150% love them. However, I do not feed them as a staple. I feed my chameleons supers as snacks. I find that if I give my chameleons supers more than 2 days a week, they will get addicted like a junkie. Then they will refuse every other feeder I offer. Since superworms are addicting and I prefer to offer a variety of feeders, I limit supers to 1 or 2 days a week.

Super worms are safe the majority of the time, I still use them for my lizards but yes I have seen the aftermath of giving a super worm to a lizard and it dying. I gave a armadillo lizard a super worm and then it just swallowed it without chewing and the next day it had a round hole to where its stomach was and it was dead, its very rare that this happens but it does happen sometimes. I am not saying do not use them they are great feeders.

Oh and thank you brad for calling me a liar...

-Jacob

Super worms are safe the majority of the time, I still use them for my lizards but yes I have seen the aftermath of giving a super worm to a lizard and it dying. I gave a armadillo lizard a super worm and then it just swallowed it without chewing and the next day it had a round hole to where its stomach was and it was dead, its very rare that this happens but it does happen sometimes. I am not saying do not use them they are great feeders.

Oh and thank you brad for calling me a liar...

-Jacob

Hey interesting to know. I have always heard of this and quite frankly assumed it was just a myth considering no one has ever had it happen to them. Interesting to hear about someone who actually witnessed this. I have heard many people crush supersworms jaws with tweezers, this would probably eliminate this from ever happening.

In my experience with using super worms is that if you get them wet when misting and they are in a feeding cup, they drown quickly. Chameleon stomach acid is pretty potent and even if a cham doesn't chew it (mine always chew at least a couple of times with juice squirting everywhere) the worm would be dead in short order.

Could I ask what you guys mostly use for gut loading with supers, and supplementing? Have seen tons of general info, nothing specific with supers though. Right now I use melon and they're in a bran substrate (no regular supplementing with them yet, however - only feeding them to my leopard gecko, getting the first cham on Wednesday from Kammerflage! :) )

Thanks for all the info so far!

I gave a armadillo lizard a super worm and then it just swallowed it without chewing and the next day it had a round hole to where its stomach was and it was dead, [...]

I just can not accept this as truth. Perhaps you saw an already dead lizard with a superworms chewing its way IN not out. Superworms die within seconds of hitting water, much less stomach juices.

Hey interesting to know. I have always heard of this and quite frankly assumed it was just a myth considering no one has ever had it happen to them. Interesting to hear about someone who actually witnessed this. I have heard many people crush supersworms jaws with tweezers, this would probably eliminate this from ever happening.

Do you always believe everything you read or hear? :eek::rolleyes:

To answer the other part about leopard geckos, leopard geckos are much better at chewing their food than chameleons because their mouths are much smaller. This reduces the impaction risk. But again, superworms are much better than mealworms and feeding only mealworms to a gecko can definitely cause impaction, it just happened to a gecko that came in last week. I prefer crickets and dubias myself, but supers are good too i'm just a worry wart when it comes to impaction :p Gotta stop worrying about it.

To answer the other part about leopard geckos, leopard geckos are much better at chewing their food than chameleons because their mouths are much smaller. This reduces the impaction risk. But again, superworms are much better than mealworms and feeding only mealworms to a gecko can definitely cause impaction, it just happened to a gecko that came in last week. I prefer crickets and dubias myself, but supers are good too i'm just a worry wart when it comes to impaction :p Gotta stop worrying about it.

Ah, should've guessed that! :p

I'm actually working on a dubia colony myself - just added 120 mixed to a group I've had since February of 100, so hoping they'll be ready to feed from in a few more weeks.

Do you always believe everything you read or hear? :eek::rolleyes:

LOL, yes sometimes I do ;) (not really) I was just curious what lizard he assumed this happened to and I didn't want to come out and say he was a liar.

I have heard this myth for many years now and never once know any one that admitted it has happened to them. So I was just curious. Besides, if a super even falls into a nice size droplet of water it drownds immediately, so stomach acid would be instant death. I have heard people crush supers jaws though.

Back
Top Bottom