Superworm breeding:how to

shiftyeyes

for those people who use superworm / kingworms, and would like to start to breed them. i am telling you its the easiest thing you can do and you will end up with tons of worms that you can feed off and save tons of money on.
***all pic are below***

phase #1 MORPHING THE SUPERWORMS

-DAY #1 put each worm into individual housing, and put in a dark room helps breeding

-DAY #11-15 -majority of worms are curled into a "C" or a "E" shape, some could be morphing by this stage.

-DAY#21 - pupa start to morph or have morphed into beetles.

-DAY#26 - remaining pupa morph into beetles - all other beetles that are the color of black are moved to community breeding tub.

PHASE #2 BREEDING DARKLING BEETLES:
-beetles placed on 2 inches of raw oatmeal in 1x1 foot space.
- beetles will start laying eggs after eating food/moisture item.
- beetles breed in boxes until death.
- ONCE ALL beetles are dead remove all dead beetles from box and now this box will become you hatching box(nursery)
***remove all shells and dead beetles from box***

PHASE #3 RAISING AND KEEPING SUPERWORMS

-old breeding box used now as new nursery
- eggs hatch in roughly 2-3 weeks
- maintain foods and raw oats remove old items from box
- 3-4 weeks later barely visible superworms appear
-weeks 5-6 new superworms now big enough to move to main "feeder box"

***housing for beetles to breed eggs and hide egg cartons, toilet paper rolls***

Attachments

• P3030722.jpg
    P3030722.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 799
  • P3030724.jpg
    P3030724.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 628
  • P3030731.jpg
    P3030731.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 573
  • P3030729.jpg
    P3030729.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 541
  • P3030730.jpg
    P3030730.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 376
for those people who use superworm / kingworms, and would like to start to breed them. i am telling you its the easiest thing you can do and you will end up with tons of worms that you can feed off and save tons of money on.
***all pic are below***

phase #1 MORPHING THE SUPERWORMS

-DAY #1 put each worm into individual housing, and put in a dark room helps breeding

-DAY #11-15 -majority of worms are curled into a "C" or a "E" shape, some could be morphing by this stage.

-DAY#21 - pupa start to morph or have morphed into beetles.

-DAY#26 - remaining pupa morph into beetles - all other beetles that are the color of black are moved to community breeding tub.

PHASE #2 BREEDING DARKLING BEETLES:
-beetles placed on 2 inches of raw oatmeal in 1x1 foot space.
- beetles will start laying eggs after eating food/moisture item.
- beetles breed in boxes until death.
- ONCE ALL beetles are dead remove all dead beetles from box and now this box will become you hatching box(nursery)
***remove all shells and dead beetles from box***

PHASE #3 RAISING AND KEEPING SUPERWORMS

-old breeding box used now as new nursery
- eggs hatch in roughly 2-3 weeks
- maintain foods and raw oats remove old items from box
- 3-4 weeks later barely visible superworms appear
-weeks 5-6 new superworms now big enough to move to main "feeder box"

***housing for beetles to breed eggs and hide egg cartons, toilet paper rolls***

good\ post!\ reputation\ added:)

can you estimate a rough idea of how many beetles produce X number of worms? I typically buy several thousand supers at a time, so how many beetles would you need to keep a population like that going?

can you estimate a rough idea of how many beetles produce X number of worms? I typically buy several thousand supers at a time, so how many beetles would you need to keep a population like that going?

I breed supers too, mine is more of small scale, but i can tell you i have maybe 350 worms from about 15 beetles. Supers are i think cannibalistic i had them in a pretty small container so i think i would of had more. I had my beetle for a very long time like 4 months. For this reason i moved the supers out of the breeder box every 2 months. I think they lived for a unusually long time though. I am breeding them in a larger scale, with more beetles, bigger box etc. I tell you guys how this goes in a couple of months.

Does anyone know what i did wrong? I tried for 8 months and here is my findings:
DID the separate worms to turn to beetles.
Kept temps at about 80f
8 months from first beetle i had mini meal worm sized superworms

I gave up since my est was a 1 year turn around...

I've read that the beetles can eat the eggs and new worms. I've seen it suggested to swap out the beetle bedding/substrate every 2-3 weeks to remove any eggs and larva from the beetles and avoid them from being eaten.

I had a set up just like that. There are pictures I believe somewhere on this forum still. It worked really well....until it got invaded with dust mites. Couldn't get rid of them or the smell of the damn things so in the trash went the whole thing :eek:

Back
Top Bottom