Sun Seeker Mercury Vapor

I just bought a mercury vapor bulb. Sunseeker brand. It seems to have a low output of UVB but a high output of UVA.

I want UVB don't I?

It says on the box that it's used to treat MBD, and that has all the UV's a reptile needs blah blah..

But under the spectrum information it says UVB 260-320nm, and UVA 320-400nm

Anyone know what this means?

thanks in advance
-royden

You want both UVA and UVB. Im not sure if thats high or low, but I assume its good enough if it is a vapor bulb.

here's the side of the box. It's those spikes that make me think it has a low amount of uvb.

Attachments

• confused.jpg
    confused.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 158
Compared to UVA peak, UVB is close to nothing. And I don't know what the units of the graph for the vertical. It's spans from 0 to 14 but I don't know. Plus what in earth is "Spectral Irrsdiance"?

Form what I little know, I wouldn't bet on it's UVB capabilities. I'd use it as a regular non-UVB basking light.

Howdy Royden,

I thought I recognized that brand name :(. Unfortunately, it has a really bad reputation for not producing much in the way of UVB regardless of what any of its advertisments might say :eek:.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/message/5396

Stick with a Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 linear tube (not a compact!) and you'll likely never have any UVB troubles if placed about 6"-12" away from your chameleon's basking spot. Don't forget that it isn't much of a heat source so add a low cost ~75W basking lamp placed to produce the proper heat for your chameleon species.

That's the reply I was waiting for - and should've got before bidding on ebay.

I knew 10 bucks was too good to be true.

Thanks Dave.

10 bucks for a lesson learnt, is not too bad royden..lol
take it from me, mine lessons usually cost me more...:eek:

i seen those on ebay last yr and was tempted to buy one.then i thought better because they were so cheap,i think sunseeker went out of business and they getting rid of what they got left from their inventory.

you could use it for plants maybe

Back
Top Bottom