sumthin wrongh here-uh

reyesjoshuacruz

Established Member
dur........ iffin f. paradlis highbirds be are stare-ill, how come why for are dare animals be sold as having jeans from moor dan too locales??????

me no unastands??????ioamsdofmnisdopnasdfjgnasdfj\

but seriously though. ( im guessing not all crossing end in sterile offspring, just the major. )

dur........ iffin f. paradlis highbirds be are stare-ill, how come why for are dare animals be sold as having jeans from moor dan too locales??????

but seriously though. ( im guessing not all crossing end in sterile offspring, just the major. )

me no understands you:confused::confused:

unfortunately, julkj hggf tyyty. dare animals as having jeans pencil sharpener moook moooo colourful dirt. hybrid cars world peace war cham oogoola leaves guitar stick. obama mccain harper dion co2 old people. Me no understans?

lol hahahaha

ok so if paradalis hybrids are sterile, why do we see hybrids listed as containing genes from more then two locales>?

IE: cross sambava with tamatave = sterile how can you cross again?

how can there be a panther with genes from three diff locales?

( im guessing its only cause not all crossing ends in sterile off spring )

lol hahahaha

ok so if paradalis hybrids are sterile, why do we see hybrids listed as containing genes from more then two locales>?

IE: cross sambava with tamatave = sterile how can you cross again?

how can there be a panther with genes from three diff locales?

( im guessing its only cause not all crossing ends in sterile off spring )

That would be my conclusion.

call me crazy but for some reason i remember ( maybe going back to when i was first getting into the hobby ) that ALL crosses were sterile.

well crossing anything for the most part results in genetic consequences, one of which is being sterile

horse and donkey = sterile mule

lion + tiger = sterile liger

like i said call me crazy, i could totally be wrong, but for some reason i thought that was the general understanding........i have been totally wrong before :)

They are the same species, why would they be sterile???
Where did you here that?
Likely a myth to keep locales pure, and keep people from cross breeding.

well ......

Pre-Post-Scriptum: Sorry, this one got long, but I believe details should not be omitted here for a clearer view of the whole idea :) ....................

As far as pure genetics are concerned, if the cross-breeding happens between subjects of the same species and subspecies, genetic deterioration is less probable. But as those color variants are each endemic to a certain geographical area and further genetic studies are rare to inexistent (at least as far as I could google them and run them through the biology version of SciFinder we have, which combs through certain specialized journals and publications) , it cannot be excluded, and it is even highly probable, that they should deserve the attention subspecies get. Phelsuma lineata has 5 subspieces - at least - which are mainly color and habitat distinctions.

Therefore, a cross-breeding, more exactly heterosis, as the crossing is intended to enhance visual effect, color schemes, and patterns, can be potentially harmful, as subspecies have subtle genetic differences. Hence the danger of risking the rarefying of a subspecies, generating genetic disorders - most commonly, sterility, though this is more frequent with crosses between distinct species, say Bradypodion and Frucifer for example, theoretically speaking.

Al

Just read the thread and want to chime on on some points:

1. It would be pretty hard to document that health is improved by cross breeding. How would you even do that without introducing enough error in your study to make the results suspect?

2. While there is no evidence on the health aspect, there is anecdotal evidence on the appearance standard. Most long-time chameleon community members will agree that what is on the marketplace is not as pretty as in the old days. It could be attributed to gene mixing, or deselection of the wild populations from harvesting the pretty ones. I don't believe that is the case because I think the guys harvesting just grab what they find.

I do know that when my preschool daughters start mixing colors with finger paints, the mixture of the first colors look good. Yellow and blue makes a nice color of green. But then more colors are added in there, and does become a muddled mess and the color becomes not as pretty. I believe we have some of the "muddled mess" in most chameleons on the market, whether intentional, non-intentional, or whatever.

3. We need a carrot and the stick approach to hybridization. Folks like me, who believe hybridization (of Panther Morphs) is bad try to discourage it, and build concensus that its bad because the politics do help keep the lines pure. Thats the stick. The carrot is that I also applaud those folks who do keep good records and are honest about it when they do it.

4. There is anecdotal evidence that hybridization can lead to sterility. happens when you cross horses and donkeys. They can breed and reproduce, but their offspring can not. How would you like to pay $300 to $400 for an animal for your breeding program, raise it for the better part of a year, bond with it, and then when you go to breed it, find out it can't reproduce?

5. Lastly, there isn't a color out there that isn't available in pure form. If you want a purple barred panther, you can find one. They are out there. Heck there's one in my storage room. :) You can find green ones that turn yellow, red ones, pink ones, orange ones, blue ones...every secondary and primary color is available in its natural state.

Steve

as far as panthers (furcifer pardalis) goes, I think there should not be a problem we find when we cross horse and a donkey.
After all, like Justin said, in the eye of science, they are all 1 species (just different coloration).

An old thread talked about this before.
I brought up an analogy of interracial marriage in homo sapiens.

Scientifically speaking, as far as I know, we are all 1 species no matter the skin coloration. Thus, our children can reproduce with no problem as well.

But again, I am not a scientist here.
Others who are might have a say about this in depth.

The word "anecdotal" is used on the last quote you post.
So, i took it with a grain of salt. If you can successfully cross panther and veiled (rolling my eyes here), then you might face that sterile off springs dilemma.

This topic has been discussed off and on in the past. Our experience has been that fertility rates reduce more quickly in F-2 and F-3 hybrid generations than in locale pure F-2 and F-3 generations. Others have shared similar conclusions with us. Same species ? Yes. Exact same genetically ? No. I have not seen a discussion before where someone who had hands-on knowledge said they believed hybrids were sterile.

And to add to the discussion/confusion...

some mules are not sterile. some ligers are not sterile. it "depends".

I've heard certain locales of pardalis are more different than others, and cannot produce fertile offspring with other locales.

If they are the same species, as many of the locales clearly are, then the only "ethical" problem would be, in MY opinion, a problem of business ethics. How do you know for sure what you're getting is "pure".

Then again, if they're the same species, what the heck is "pure" in the first place?

Fact is, most crosses (of pardalis) are not as nice as the original locales. But, if you take these crosses, you mix genetic material, you mix phenotypes. Using selective breeding, you have given yourself a greater color pallate to "choose" from.

...and with that, you are able to produce things like THIS:
Paladin%20-%2011.JPG

this is one of the Kammer's guys, on their webpage.

Now that is one of the best looking lizards I've ever seen.

ok, thats more along the lines of what i remember reading about. so im not crazy i did hear this at one time.

Thanks jim, as always its refreshing to see such an experienced individual happy to share information.

( off topic, but by the way I think its pretty clear to anyone that has talked to you and............ someone else :) that profit and status maybe even jealousy are the driving factors )

ok, thats more along the lines of what i remember reading about. so im not crazy i did hear this at one time.

Thanks jim, as always its refreshing to see such an experienced individual happy to share information.

( off topic, but by the way I think its pretty clear to anyone that has talked to you and............ someone else :) that profit and status maybe even jealousy are the driving factors )

Certainly. It may not be outright greed or desire for profit alone, but it's there. Panthers used to be cheaper than veileds. USed to be, you didn't knwo what you were getting in a CB panther.

Now, breeders are held to a higher standard (thank god), and people demand a degree of consistency. The price changes accordingly. you want a solid blue lizard, you pay $250.00.

You want a cross of a soild blue lizard with a red and blue lizard? Can't be sure it'll not look like crap - might be red and blue and blue and red...might be dull gray... so most people arent' willing to pay $300 for something that is probably not going to look very nice. So, most people dont' want crosses. SO, there' slittle market for them.

As far as the breeder is concerned, their desire to keep bloodlines pure from an ecological stance is directly related to their deisre to maximise profits.
they go hand in hand.

and there's nothing wrong with it.

i also happen to feel there's nothing wrong with locale crosses. It's a bigger risk, for the breeder, but it has great potential payoff, in the long term.

I also think it important that the pure locales be maintained. Hard to do with females.

Back
Top Bottom