Such a sad discovery!!

dartfrog

Hi everyone I sadly lost my female R.nchisiensis 11 days ago after failing to lay her eggs she had been gravid for approx 6 1/2 months I tried various different adjustments with temps, humidity etc to no avail she died in the night I was gutted! I found her in the morning & decided to try & save her eggs there was a total of 10 have been incubating since then. Come home tonight to find 3 had dented with fungus cut them open & found 3 perfectly formed but tiny babies approx 12mm total length I thought they may be fairly developed but didnt realise they could develop so much whilst still inside her its so heartbreaking. I have 2 eggs that are a lot bigger so am hoping there may be a chance for these the other 5 are preety small.
Heatherxxx

im realy sorry about your loss :( my condolences go your way. i know how frusturating the gravid process is. we've lost one female last year in the same means of egg binding. it sucks. but i know your little one is in a better place now.

Oh Heather! That is so sad.:( You tried all you could for her though. Do you think that she had retained them for far too long for them to be that well developed already?

Thankyou Phil for your kind words just wish I new why she wouldnt lay!
Thanks as well Tiff, there gestation should only be 5 to 8 weeks normally from what ive read with a max of 4 months in one case so she was way over due so this is why they were so developed I think, wasnt expecting this thou so it was a total shock!
Heatherxxx

she honestly could have been eating too much and producing continuous egg yolks with no shell, she may have had a calcium defficiency, or her laying conditions wern't right. ours was gravid for about 6 months as well if not longer, and she produced so many egg yolks, not a single one developed. we went with a spay surgery, she survived the surgery but passed away a few hours later. :(

Im so sorry to here about your poor girl as well its so hard when things dont go as they should, was she a Yemen I know it can be so difficult with them even if not mated! Mr girl was a pygmy only a couple of inches in length the eggs looked good she just held on to them too long. Ive 2 other species of pygmy that need the same conditions which have laid fine for me & hatched
this is what I dont undertand?
Heatherxxx

i had a brev die almost a month ago due to some kind of egg binding, she loose laid one egg and then died about a week later. she became paralyzed in the back eggs and the back half of her lost colour and turned white. poor girl. but yes, the cham we lost was a veiled. it sucks cause they can lay soo many eggs at once. makes things so much harder at times

Back
Top Bottom