Successfully Moving an Older Veiled?

cheera

So, my friend Paris is moving to California. He has a 5 year old veiled cham, named Vladamir, and he isn't planning on taking him with him. He's going to let me take him in, so obviously I'm very excited. He was the dad of the first veiled I had (RIP Beyonce).

So I'm curious about the rest of the moving and readjustment process. We're planning on bringing him over in the first part of May, and I need a little insight on how Vlad and I are going to get along.

How freaked out is he going to be as far as change in how I take care of him? I know Paris takes care of his chams differently, not in a bad way, because Vlads a crazy healthy dude.

What do you think I should do as far as feeding? Paris has a lot more free time than I do, he likes to take Vlad outside and eat flies and all that fun stuff. I don't know if he's gonna like a change in eating habits, and what should I plan on noticing as far as that goes?

And furthermore...oh my god how the heck am I going to feed two very hungry chameleons? How does one start a cricket colony without my mom pitching a fit? I currently just buy a weekly supply for my 6 month old panther.

I know this is a really weird/broad subject but any any any advice is highly appreciated.

I have three male veileds that I got when they were past the baby stage. Jager I got from a fellow forum member, Logan I got off craigslist and Gus, my silly tongue-less senior citizen was also from craigslist. They have all adapted wonderfully.

Jager and Gus were well-cared for when I got them but Logan was kept in a tiny cage in a back yard. They have all gotten used to the routine I have which includes hand-feeding, handling, time out of the cage and they are all in new cages/set ups.

Give him time to adjust and make sure you watch for signs of stress and you should be fine. I have found veileds to be wonderfully adaptable as long as you respect their needs.

Maybe you could start a roach colony or buy crickets in a larger quanity online? I have eight chams and they do get expensive to feed, especially when you try to give them a variety of food .. roaches are pretty easy once you get a colony going. And they don't stink or make noise. You can also buy flies (pupae) for treats for him instead of going outside for them.

What ways does Paris do different than you? is it anything you can try to do as Paris does for a while then slowly phase it out to do it your way? Or since it is a way off maybe for the month of April, Paris could start getting Vladamir accustomed to how you will be doing things.

About the flys mantis place.com has them for cheap. I am good at most feeder but I have never been able to establish a cricket colony. I do superworms & dubias, they along with crickets are my 3 main staples with others tossed in as often as possible. See if your Mom will let you start a superworm colony, it is cheaper, quieter, easier. A dubia colony would be even better but asking your Mom if you can grow roaches might not go over well.:eek:

If you decide to do a superworm colony let me know and I will give you all the information you need.

So, my friend Paris is moving to California. He has a 5 year old veiled cham, named Vladamir, and he isn't planning on taking him with him. He's going to let me take him in, so obviously I'm very excited. He was the dad of the first veiled I had (RIP Beyonce).

So I'm curious about the rest of the moving and readjustment process. We're planning on bringing him over in the first part of May, and I need a little insight on how Vlad and I are going to get along.

How freaked out is he going to be as far as change in how I take care of him? I know Paris takes care of his chams differently, not in a bad way, because Vlads a crazy healthy dude.

What do you think I should do as far as feeding? Paris has a lot more free time than I do, he likes to take Vlad outside and eat flies and all that fun stuff. I don't know if he's gonna like a change in eating habits, and what should I plan on noticing as far as that goes?

And furthermore...oh my god how the heck am I going to feed two very hungry chameleons? How does one start a cricket colony without my mom pitching a fit? I currently just buy a weekly supply for my 6 month old panther.

I know this is a really weird/broad subject but any any any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks guys. I forgot about superworms! And yes Lloyd, he's coming with all his stuff.

Laurie, I think Paris has a diff lighting schedule, and he takes him out a LOT.

Back
Top Bottom