storing crickets outside on my porch can I?

DAD3886

ok well i got my first big order of crickets in today from lazy h.I ony ordered them yesterday.I noticed because of the larger amount a little stinky... my girlfriend is already say that my man/cham cave is stinky... idk why or how... the water from the drain pan is dumped everyday,the crickets have only been in small amounts before now. im just worried with 1000 crickets its going to stink more and was wondering if i could just stick the container on my screened porch.Has anyone done this? did anyone have ant problems?

Some people keep them in their garage. But I would be conserned with something getting to them. Be it other bugs, predetors, chemicals, to much heat, not enough heat. Etc... You could give it a try with a small group. So you dont risk your whole stock. But it will probley be fine.

I'm getting my first big group today. I'm keeping them in the outside storage shed. I've got my container sitting in a vinyl tray. Once the crickets are in, I'll put an inch of water in the tray. My concern is ants. Ants eat crickets. As long as you can protect against things like that, I think it should be fine.

thats a great idea im using a rubbermaid container its prob like 20-30gallon and it has screen on all 4sides as well as the lid.So i could take that now and put it on a deep cookie sheet with *water and protect my feeders...thats an awesome idea!:D

Im in Texas also. You might end up having to put an oscillating fan on that bin. It gets so hott down here and without a breeze and fresh air your going to get alot of heat related losses. The wet gutload will spoil alot quicker also. As long as i keep a cheap fan blowing at my bins during the summer all is ok. I lost a cpl of shipments prior to trying that though. And I use a rubber made tote screened lid and vent holes in the sides also. Just a tip for ya.

i usually do a weekly cleaning of my cricket tank making sure to shake all the poop out of the egg crate before i clean it out...i also spot clean (pick out the dead crix) like every other day or so and ive noticed that really helps cut back on the smell

I was gonna say the same thing that Texas Panther Man said. I would put a cheapo Wal-Mart box fan on them and most impotantly, don't let any direct sunlight get to them. That will get them for sure. I have a bad problem with ants from time to time here in Alabama. I see your in Florida, so I'm know you'll have that challenge as well. I HATE ANTS!!!!!!!!

I buy 1000 crickets at a time. I have them on my covered patio, and I live in Tucson. They're in a big tote. I cut a hole in the lid and hot glued screen to the lid for good ventilation. I check the crickets daily and clean the bin once a week. I had to be sure to put the lid on properly because a smart cactus wren was helping herself to the crickets!
My crickets are nowhere as smelly as the superworms!!!!

thats a great idea im using a rubbermaid container its prob like 20-30gallon and it has screen on all 4sides as well as the lid.So i could take that now and put it on a deep cookie sheet with *water and protect my feeders...thats an awesome idea!:D

I live in Florida also and when my cham was eating crickets(he hates them now) I kept them out on my screened in patio all summer long. They did fine and I was glad not to have to keep them in the house. I put them in a 10 gallon tank with a screened lid. I like the glass tank cause you can scrape the bottom of the tank with a paint scraper and clean the poop up that way. I would move all the crickets to one side with all the egg crates and then scrape and do the other side. I cleaned mine EVERYDAY! I bought 500 at a time from Lazy H bait. It is a good place to get your crickets from if you live in Fla. I know JannB told you this already.

Back
Top Bottom