Sperm plug or? Help!

Hello everyone,
first off, happy new years to you all!
Now down to business.
This morning Gizmo (veiled chameleon approximately 4.5 months old) went potty, and it was very clean and regular (brown poop, white calcium deposit, yellow urinate). However an hour or two later I noticed what appears to be a little crusty stuck in his butt. Clearly he didn't wipe properly. Guys, please, be serious!
Okay so now to explain his diet. Usually he eats crickets however for the past week he has had to eat supers and meal worms because the pet store I get my crickets from gets their shipments in on Tuesday and Christmas was on Tuesday last week so they never got their shipment and New Years is on Tuesday this week, so I've had to resort to meal worms.
Anyways, I'll attach a photo for you all to see and judge what it may be!
Thank you to everyone who sheds some light on the matter.

Attachments

• IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 537
I agree with the others - they usually wipe their vents on a branch or vine after pooping but this one didn't get wiped and has dried up. It may fall off when he's walking around and brushing through the leaves, etc. I call Monty's his 'man bogies', lol! :D Check out my thread on the subject: https://www.chameleonforums.com/hemipenes-sperm-deposits-84494/

I will also add that there are two parts to the waste products - the white urate (this is not a calcium deposit - it is solid urate as they don't produce urine) and the brown poop part. The orange you describe sounds like he may benefit from longer misting sessions and provison of a dripper to drink from.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! This is very reassuring.
Miss Lily, I already don't have much of an appetite this afternoon due to certain events from last night *cough cough* and then I clicked on that link and almost hurled! Hahahaha. Thanks ;)

Thanks guys! This is very reassuring.
Miss Lily, I already don't have much of an appetite this afternoon due to certain events from last night *cough cough* and then I clicked on that link and almost hurled! Hahahaha. Thanks ;)

:D Ooops! Sorry! I don't drink, so no hangovers here, lol! I think that thread should carry a gross photo warning! :eek: Hehe! Love my Monty! :D

I agree with the others - they usually wipe their vents on a branch or vine after pooping but this one didn't get wiped and has dried up. It may fall off when he's walking around and brushing through the leaves, etc. I call Monty's his 'man bogies', lol! :D Check out my thread on the subject: https://www.chameleonforums.com/hemipenes-sperm-deposits-84494/

I will also add that there are two parts to the waste products - the white urate (this is not a calcium deposit - it is solid urate as they don't produce urine) and the brown poop part. The orange you describe sounds like he may benefit from longer misting sessions and provison of a dripper to drink from.

hi! i noticed my male veiled about a year old has a hard white spermplug looking stuck in his hemipenis, i tried to massage his tail base but the sperm plug is very hard. should i pull it out? it's very big i dont think he can get it off by himself. at first, i thought it eas part of his hemipenis but when i saw your blog i know it was an oversized sperm plug. what to do?? :/ sorry to butt in

hi! i noticed my male veiled about a year old has a hard white spermplug looking stuck in his hemipenis, i tried to massage his tail base but the sperm plug is very hard. should i pull it out? it's very big i dont think he can get it off by himself. at first, i thought it eas part of his hemipenis but when i saw your blog i know it was an oversized sperm plug. what to do?? :/ sorry to butt in

Hello kingsleysandoval.
This is a really good thread about what to do:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/sperm-plug-do-i-do-anything-16202/

Hello kingsleysandoval.
This is a really good thread about what to do:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/sperm-plug-do-i-do-anything-16202/

hi lovereps, i did read this thread and did some actions myself. i have soaked my male veiled in warm water and successfully pulled both huge plugs. i did it slowly to make sure i would not hurt my boy. after the procedure, he has not pulled one of his hemipenis back in. could this be a prolapse? :( it has been 10minutes now and it is still protruding. before the procedure, even with a large plug his hemipenis wasn't exposed. should i put lubricant like KY jelly? could i use a probe to push it back in?

Yes, you have to keep the hemipenes moist with KY Jelly and get him to a vet as soon as possible if he can't get them back in.
Otherwise the tissues die.

Back
Top Bottom