species cross

flyty808

hi every one. i was told that a few species could cross with other similar species and i believe i was told panthers and oustalet's can cross and i was wondering if this is true? and if so what others could be crossed? ive been wondering ever sence i saw the veiled and panther mating. and i know i read they are a no go.

hi every one. i was told that a few species could cross with other similar species and i believe i was told panthers and oustalet's can cross and i was wondering if this is true? and if so what others could be crossed? ive been wondering ever sence i saw the veiled and panther mating. and i know i read they are a no go.

Do you mean a crossbreeding that produces fertile offspring? One that produces a crossbreed that is sterile? I would doubt Oustaleti, verrucosus and pardalis can even though some consider them pretty closely related. I bet they had a common ancestor but have diversified too much by now. Even some pardalis locales don't seem to be successful, eggs don't hatch, or the offspring end up sterile.

There is so little known about these species' genetic makeup and so few people working sytematically with chams other than pardalis, and many of them are unknown crosses to begin with.

Unless you were trying to inject some genetic diversity back into a genetically suppressed line I can't see why someone would bother.

Do you mean a crossbreeding that produces fertile offspring? One that produces a crossbreed that is sterile? I would doubt Oustaleti, verrucosus and pardalis can even though some consider them pretty closely related. I bet they had a common ancestor but have diversified too much by now. Even some pardalis locales don't seem to be successful, eggs don't hatch, or the offspring end up sterile.

There is so little known about these species' genetic makeup and so few people working sytematically with chams other than pardalis, and many of them are unknown crosses to begin with.

Unless you were trying to inject some genetic diversity back into a genetically suppressed line I can't see why someone would bother.

as i am no dr frankinstine i was not planing on trying any thing crazy just intertaining the thought of what can cross and what it would look like i just spend too much time on this forum to not ask questions that work my imagination.:D no freaks of nature being made by me just curious.

hi there, i have many chameleons books and there is little on this subject. but the two species you mention apparantly can hybridise.

the chameleon handbook, Francois Le Berre page 19 there is a picture of a hybrid of furcifer pardalis and furcifer oustaleti (male)

there is a paragraph on the subject, the author also mentions of other possible hybrid species and that hybrids are probably a frequent occurance in closely related species of the furcifer genus.

hope that give you an insight on the subject. by the way i highly recommend this book, i think its one of the best reads on chams on the market.

regards
rob

The Chameleon Handbook by Francois Le Berre also says quite clearly that chameleons do not utilize UVB light and don't need it to be healthy. We all know how inaccurate that is so I'm very skeptical of the legitimacy of his so called hybrid picture.

Back
Top Bottom