Speaking of brevs....

Heika

Here are a few shots of the first batch of chams to hatch out. They graduated from their gladware houses to a 10 gallon last week, and they have adjusted really well. They are all between 30-40 days old now. I love watching them.. they are so comical. All of these are CH, the results of eggs layed shortly after their WC mothers were imported. The first CBs have hatched and are still in baby housing.

brevbabes5.jpg

brevbabes4.jpg

brevbabes3.jpg

brevbabes2.jpg

brevbabes1.jpg

Heika

Great photos Heika! So jealous of all those little teeny faces!

Pygmy chameleons are a must have. Just so interesting. All the fun of large chameleons living communily in one tiny but so "giant-to-them" world. Personally I think they have much more expression than larger true chameleons.

I don't think it's that they have more expression, it's just that it is far easier to see their social behavior than in their bigger cousins.

Chameleons are most fun when you can observe their interaction, and their behavior when in natural situations - in groups. Trouble is, with some species, it's almost impossible to do this with anything but a house sized cage!

Melleri are probably the most social of the big chameleons, and tend to do well in compatible groups. You'll see all the natural behavior, and charming looks like you do in brevs - but on a larger scale. Trouble is, you need to have a cage that's like 10'x10'x8' to do it - wiht brevs, you can do it in a 20 gallon tank!

They're fun, that's for sure. The only thing that prevents me from getting into them is their short lives. Their reproductive ability means you can keep a colony going indefinatly, which makes up for it. Cute little suckers.

They look great Heika! Keep an eye on their growth rate in that 10G. I normally don’t set them loose in a tank until around 10 weeks of age. I like to really fatten them up before hand and that’s easier to do in a critter container. Keep up the good work.

-roo

Cute Heika! I already have a baby from the eggs, very tiny. Glad to see that they are doing well for you. Keep up the good work!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, everyone! They sure are expressive. Little characters with very individual personalities.

Keep an eye on their growth rate in that 10G. I normally don’t set them loose in a tank until around 10 weeks of age.
I didn't realize you waited that long, Roo. So far, so good. If any of them start to look like they aren't doing well, I will move it back to a container.

I already have a baby from the eggs, very tiny.

I wondered if you would, Jeremy. I didn't think they were quite that far along, but ones in my container from that clutch hatched as well. They must have been in the tank longer than I thought. Congratulations! I am glad to see that our experiment is positive so far!

Heika

Back
Top Bottom