so to everyone that wondering if there uv light is working

Tifanydalpont

if you have a live plant in the cage and it's dieing rapidly..it means that the light is not strong enounght for the plant to live ...which mean its not enought for your your cammy to live!!!! :eek:

I dont agree. There are many different types of plants, and many reasons they can die. This is unsound in my opinion. Especially since it could lead to someone misunderstanding your statement and using a UVB bulb until there plants start dying off, instead of say, changing it every 6 months.

Last edited:
Or the most economicaly way by using a solarmeter. But this statement could be misinterpreted many bad ways. I could have a grow light with healthy plants but without uvb my cham ultimately could die...

my bad it is a uvb 5.0 now... i boughght a smaller uvb that was 1.8 that i wasnt expecting and noticed the plant a hibiscuse was dieing rapily..i then got a now bulb and the plants hasnt lost any leavse for 2 months now

if you have a live plant in the cage and it's dieing rapidly..it means that the light is not strong enounght for the plant to live ...which mean its not enought for your your cammy to live!!!! :eek:

I disagree as well. Plants may not need the same spectrum of light. There are low light plants and high light plants and the frequency of the light is more important than just UVB.

Plants do thrive under some UVB :D. Heck pothos will grow in the dark. I just ordered the 6% t5 UVB can't wait to see them jump.

sweet, I just ordered them this weekend so hoping by wed they're here.I already swapped out the reptisun 5.0s and 6500k t8s and gave it to my geckos.Chameleons going with t5s, Think I need sun glasses soon to be in here.:cool:

I recently added a grow light in hopes of saving a dying plant but no luck it was too far gone.

How do you guys repot them? I had it growing great and then I repotted it once I got the chameleon and it's now completely dead.

I am feeling like not repotting the next, but instead just washing off the leaves, and covering the standard soil with With a layer of organic soil and then river rocks, and then covering that with something to keep the feeders out.

Any advice?

i disagree as well..different types of plants need different amounts of uvb...and water as well,it could be over watering too...

sweet, I just ordered them this weekend so hoping by wed they're here.I already swapped out the reptisun 5.0s and 6500k t8s and gave it to my geckos.Chameleons going with t5s, Think I need sun glasses soon to be in here.:cool:

I use the 12% T5 lights on my chams! they are great bulbs and you will see a difference in the chams! Just be careful with the plants as too much uv does kill them. make sure leaves are at least 5 inches or so away from the light as these will die and go brown from uvb burning. If you use a plant grow lamp along side the uv bulb this will counteract the uv and provide the correct lighting levels to force good growth.

I recently added a grow light in hopes of saving a dying plant but no luck it was too far gone.

How do you guys repot them? I had it growing great and then I repotted it once I got the chameleon and it's now completely dead.

I am feeling like not repotting the next, but instead just washing off the leaves, and covering the standard soil with With a layer of organic soil and then river rocks, and then covering that with something to keep the feeders out.

Any advice?

my advice is to not repot but to switch plants every month. Put one in cage, clean and fertilize the other . every month switch them off.

I use 2 100watt powersun uvb/uva bulbs for my large free range with a 30 year old ficus..it grows fine as long as i change bulbs every 6-8 months (solar meter shows them drop off strength at a certain point in their life):D

I disagree as well. Plants may not need the same spectrum of light. There are low light plants and high light plants and the frequency of the light is more important than just UVB.

Plants use a different spectrum than reptiles and daylight bulbs are crap as they are a coloration not a representation of spectrum. I use 4bulb 48" t5 fixtures 2 bulbs are reptisun 5.0 and the other 2 are vita grow plant lights. Depending on the cage sizes the one fixture covers 2 to 4 cages. Chammy colors are vibrant and plants usual outgrow enclosure, which is great, I just trim them keep cuttings and clone them and always have plenty of plants for future enclosures.

Plants use a different spectrum than reptiles and daylight bulbs are crap as they are a coloration not a representation of spectrum. I use 4bulb 48" t5 fixtures 2 bulbs are reptisun 5.0 and the other 2 are vita grow plant lights. Depending on the cage sizes the one fixture covers 2 to 4 cages. Chammy colors are vibrant and plants usual outgrow enclosure, which is great, I just trim them keep cuttings and clone them and always have plenty of plants for future enclosures.
^^^^Basically what I got going just different brand bulbs plant max. How do you have reptisun bulbs in a T5 fixture. I had to order 6% UVB T5s from Light Your Reptiles to complete my T5 fixture. Reptisun makes 5.0 T5?
I use the 12% T5 lights on my chams! they are great bulbs and you will see a difference in the chams! Just be careful with the plants as too much uv does kill them. make sure leaves are at least 5 inches or so away from the light as these will die and go brown from uvb burning. If you use a plant grow lamp along side the uv bulb this will counteract the uv and provide the correct lighting levels to force good growth.

Sounds good. Ill keep an eye out on the UVB burn on plants, I should be good with the 6% and Im using 2 other 6500k plantmax T5 bulbs in conjunction which levels out the spectrum .

Back
Top Bottom