Sleeping in the day

codiwatkins

add the pics Sleeping in the day

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Full screen about 36'24'24'
Lighting - Im at work right now but I have 60 watt heating bulb and a uvb hood without a spiral bulb its juts a long tube one
Temperature - Would be around 68-70 at the bottom and 85-88 near the top. I use a them. they measure both temp and hum. I bought it at walmart....... At night the temp never goes below 68
Humidity - The humidity ranges from 44 when everything is off at night to around 60 when its all on. I use a humidifier set up next to the cage with a hose running to the back at the bottom. I also have a live jude plant and i cant remember the other one but it was on the safe plant list that i found posted on here..... I also have a little dripper
Plants - live jude plant and i cant remember the other one but it was on the safe plant list that i found posted on here.....

Placement - Its in my livingroom/diningroom(i live in an apartment) the only traffic is myself and my son. My son is for the most part in his room and if he isnt he isnt moving around alot he watches tv. I have him sitting on a table that sits about 3 feet aff the ground. So the top of his cage is higher than the top of my head and Im 5'11. And there are no airvents near him there is a window diagnal from his cage about 20 feet away
Location - In Texas

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Ambilobe Panther Chameleon. He is about one year or older. I have had him for a week and 1 day
Handling - I took him out for the first time Yesterday( well i did have to put him in his cage once i got him home)
Feeding - I try to feed him crickets and superworms. I have not witnessed him eat anything....and he seems thin. I have been keeping vount of the number of them i put in his cage. I put 6 crickets in and when i left this morning there where 3 so I added 3 more. Thye are free roaming(but im going to make one of those nifty milk jug ones tomorrow) I also have a feeder cup attached to a branch with 5 Superworms. Thye have been in there for 4 days and he hasnt touched one of them. I feed the crickets potatoes and carrots. And the Superworms oatmeal.
Supplements - Im not sure what type it is( The guy at the pet store which said he owned 2 chameleons told me what kind to get). I will post the type as soon as I get home. I dusted the first set of crickets I put in his cage, which was on Sunday morning the day after I got him.
Watering - A little dripper plaved over a vine with leaves on it. I also mist him around 5 times a day when im not working and 3 when i do. I mist for a couple minutes making sure that everything is very moist before i stop. I saw him drink water 2 days ago and my Boyfriend said that he saw him drink water too
Fecal Description - I have not seen any poop in his cage since I got him
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No Im planning on taking him to get a well lizard check up this week sometime
History - The person I bought him from didnt really seem to care about his chams. i think he just had them as a source of income. I asked him ALOT of question and he seemed kinda like whatever...if ya know what I mean. He told me the correct way to feed them was to throw like 6 crickets into his cage. He stated he had never hand fed them because he didnt have the time.
Current Problem - He is napping during the day( but i woke him up from this nap and took him outside and he was wide awake walk around and climbing on everything he could wrap his little feet around!).

His color seems to be great and hasnt changed since i got him. His skin does see kinda loose to me though.

Also, as soon as i get home i will post a pic of him and his condo for yall!!

Ok lets see the heat bulb is an exoterra sun glow 60watt neodymium daylight lamp......wow that is a long name!! haha

I wanted to add as well that wehn i took him out to take pics he was napping AGAIN but once he woke up very active and crawling ALL OVER ME!!!!

Sorry for all the pics wasnt really too sure which ones you really needed im juts going to post link to whole photoalbum.......

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r291/codiwatkins/ester/

Last edited:
I'll wait for the pics be4 commenting anything.
Just make sure those pics aren't blurry.

I don't think he's eating very well, and if your supplements are off he could be getting sick.
Is there any chance something is keeping him awake at night that you don't see, perhaps a light is kept on?

edit: but yeah I agree with dodolah pictures are a good idea.

Sounds like your setup is good chances are his ailment is from before you got him. Keep up the water and outside time if outside temp is good. Do the cricks stay in there overnight that could be potential problem they will eat on your cham specialy when he is sleepin.

yea.....should i take them out?Do i have to if i make one of those milk jog things??

You don't have to make a feeding cup if you don't want to, it seems to be owner preference more than anything.

As far as the crix go, a lot of people take them out at night because they munch on sleeping chameleons. Nom nom nom nom. In all seriousness though, they could chew open wounds and stuff, especially the big ones.

I wait till they all collect by the basking spot and poke them with a paper towel tube or my fingers. Much to the dismay of my chameleon, he hates that paper towel tube with a passion.

he actually looked fine in your pics.
What is the brand for your uvb light?
What is your lighting schedule? What time both lights turn on? what time both lights turn off?
What time exactly he goes napping? how long does he nap if you leave him alone?

Lights are on by 630 am friday saturday sunday and out by 9 pm. The rest of the days they have been on by 8 or 830 am and out at 9pm. I dont know the brand of uvb bulb.........Should I just buy a new one so I will know?:confused:

and as far as napping i havant been able to really pin point exact time.....I can do this tomorrow though i have the whole day off and only have class for 1 hour and 20 minutes:eek:

I thought he looked good as well. Do put up his suplements when you find what they are.
Has he always naped or is it very new if he was naping when you got him a week ago then you may need to quiz the breeder more.

The bulbs should say right on them at one end what they are even have a spot for righting in date of first use least ones ive ever seen

The supplement is 2:0 t-rex calcium with no phosphorus with D3............its has a pic of a baby vieled chameleon on the front of it....
I SENT THE BREEDER AN EMAIL WE WILL SEE IF HE WRITES ME BACK.
as for if he has always had naps....Ive been notcing it for at least 4 days now.:eek:

I don't think he's eating very well, and if your supplements are off he could be getting sick.
Is there any chance something is keeping him awake at night that you don't see, perhaps a light is kept on?

edit: but yeah I agree with dodolah pictures are a good idea.

Do you think I should maybe cover his cage at night I do have 2 cats.....I never even thought of that..:rolleyes:

oh and no lights at night....I added what his sup is too

Ok Ive got an appointment with an Exotic vet(does have cham experince)............for 4 today. Its $45 for a check up, is that reasonable?( its seems to be to me)

Vet said he seemed a little dehydrated........but wasnt uncommon with chams getting new homes. Checked his poop no parasites:D She gave me neocal to give him. She also told me not to worry to much about him not eating its also a stubborn cham thing he is just adjusting. She told me if it last for another week to bring him back in.........He STILL hasnt eaten a thing. I tried to give him a super and a cricket and he just spit them out..Its so frustrating him not eating becasue im constantly afraid im gonna look in his cage and he is gonna be passed away.....:(

Back
Top Bottom