Skinney veil cham.???

Chameleon crazy

Whan she is in her screen cage she looks VERY skinney, but if I do anything in the cage she lookes really fat. Could she be too skinney? She gets about 16 crickets per day.

How old is she?
Hopefully a baby....otherwise 16 crickets is a lot!
Where did she come from? Captive bred?
Have you had a fecal done?
My suspicion is that she is fine and growing fast. If you have any concerns about parasites you should take some poop to the vet. Otherwise try not to worry too much.
By the way, when she feels threatened she is puffing up with air to make herself appear larger and scare you away!

-Brad

Hi,
It sounds to me as if she is scared of you and she's trying to hide herself. We see this often in WC animals they get skinny cause they're trying to look like the branch there on.

How old is she?---------I'm not quite sure.

Hopefully a baby....otherwise 16 crickets is a lot!-------about how many
should I offer? She is about 9-10 in. from nose to tip of tail.

Where did she come from?--------Pet store

Captive bred?---------yes

Have you had a fecal done?----no, her poo seems to be fine.

Veiled Baby

I would get a fecal check done whether her poop looks fine our not. Pet stores are not always the best at sterilizing their cages between inhabitants. There are several parasites "eggs" that can live on a dry hard surface for over a year. The pet store people would have to completely disinfect the cage and everything else in it with bleach to get rid of these things. How many pet stores do a complete job of that? My guess would be less than 10%. Chams with parasites can have completely normal looking poops until the infestation gets to the point of overwhelming it. Keep feeding this baby as many crickets as it can eat to keep the calories going in. Please get a fecal done (both direct and float checks).

Isn't there a forum FAQ checklist for common chameleon behavior and such?
I don't see anything on the home page

and I can't help noticing that many of these questions
are circular file type of stuff.
Perhaps, something can be written up about basic care and behavior?

Ha!
I have thought that too. Even suggested something like this at one time.
Perhaps compiling agreed upon answers for the most commonly asked questions into a sticky that new members could be referred to.
We don't want to stop sharing info, but I know people get tired of typing the same stuff over and over.
It would take some work, I may have even offered to start on that at one point (perhaps late one night when I wasn't thinking clearly) I haven't done anything......
Anyone else have thoughts about this?
Perhaps I'll turn the "Raising Kitty" blog into an info source.
I would need some support in formulating acceptable answers and
I would want to keep it pretty basic (ie: chameleon husbandry 101).
hmmmmmmm...

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom