Sketch Up Closet Cage Concept

Monkeykungphu

Was killing some time with Sketchup (it's free 3D design software) & came up with a layout for my closet cage. Thought I'd share some pics.

I've been doing some slate tile work in my house, so I'm planning on making the bottom sloped with tile to a drain in the middle. The back & sides tile. The front & top screen.

The inside of the cage will be 5'-3" wide, 2' deep, & 4'-10" tall. Hoping to get started on it later this summer. Any comments or questions are welcome.

Rear shot, deleted rear wall for viewing purposes:

Top shot w/o screen in top:

Nice sketchup Ben! I like that you put yourself in the design. Once its done is that where you plan to stand most of the time? You should put a lazyboy in front of the cage!:D

For the floor, I would use the 12"x12" squares of 1" tile. They make it real easy to obtain the slope for the drain. I just put in a 5'X5' walk in shower and that made the home made shower pan real easy. Under that I used PVC shower pan liner from lowes.

For the floor, I would use the 12"x12" squares of 1" tile. They make it real easy to obtain the slope for the drain.

That's a great idea Brian! That would definately help to make a smooth slope. We were looking at those 1x1"s the other day at the store & they've got some really nice colors available. I had thought about doing a bunch of small, broken piece of slate, but he 1x1s would make life much easier!

Good question JPM... I should have added some to him! :D He was the model that came with the program!!! lol!

Thanks everyone! My only concern is whether or not there will be enough ventilation in a setup like this? I really don't want the air to become too stagnant. The door opening in the front is 4' wide & it's about 6' from the bottom of the cage to the top of the doorway.

Wonder if placing one or two low powered fans, above or around the enclosure, would be beneficial to help air flow? Or, if the enclosure would be just fine as it's shown now?

Any thoughts on this?

That should be more than enough ventilation, and you can adjust the misting periods to accommodate the animal and any humidity issues. Many people use similar designs (3 or 4 solid walls/floor and screened front/top) with great success.

Thanks everyone! My only concern is whether or not there will be enough ventilation in a setup like this? I really don't want the air to become too stagnant. The door opening in the front is 4' wide & it's about 6' from the bottom of the cage to the top of the doorway.

Wonder if placing one or two low powered fans, above or around the enclosure, would be beneficial to help air flow? Or, if the enclosure would be just fine as it's shown now?

Any thoughts on this?

It would be pretty easy to install a bathroom vent fan with a switch. That should draw enough air through the front to make it less stuffy. I would thnk it would not be a huge issue with the entire front and top open anyway. An easier alternative is to have one of the Massey $5 fans from walmart turned so it draws air up through the cage and not blowing down onto it. I use them for keeping my reef lighting from getting too hot in the hood. Very quiet small fans that are cheap.

It would be pretty easy to install a bathroom vent fan with a switch. That should draw enough air through the front to make it less stuffy. I would thnk it would not be a huge issue with the entire front and top open anyway. An easier alternative is to have one of the Massey $5 fans from walmart turned so it draws air up through the cage and not blowing down onto it. I use them for keeping my reef lighting from getting too hot in the hood. Very quiet small fans that are cheap.

A $5 Massey fan sounds like the way to go if I need a little airflow.

Best thing to do, I would imagine, is to build it, set up the inside & do some humidity & temperature test, see what I got & adjust. :D

A $5 Massey fan sounds like the way to go if I need a little airflow.

Best thing to do, I would imagine, is to build it, set up the inside & do some humidity & temperature test, see what I got & adjust. :D

I have one of these fans on the top corner of each of my terrariums. I just like lots of air exchange. The humidity stays good so i am happy. Doesn't really seen to mess with the temps either.

Great looking cage can't wait to see it set up.

Back
Top Bottom