Silkworm question

Scooter

I just recieved some silkworms from Costal. I got 100 silkies, and some wet food. How do I feed it to the silkies? I cut off a couple chunks and put it in the a container that I got from them (ordered small conatiner w screen) but there were no instructions on how to feed/keep the wormies.

I bought a variety of sizes, and I fed some to Butter last night when they arrived. OMG. He loved them. He ate 8 --

How long do the wormies live? How long does that 'wet'food keep in the fridge, how much do I feed them ?

Thanks in advance.

see the answer in red:

I just recieved some silkworms from Costal. I got 100 silkies, and some wet food. How do I feed it to the silkies? I cut off a couple chunks and put it in the a container that I got from them (ordered small conatiner w screen) but there were no instructions on how to feed/keep the wormies. you're right. that's how you do it. see, you are not totally clueless. Just make sure that they have food available for them 24/7.

I bought a variety of sizes, and I fed some to Butter last night when they arrived. OMG. He loved them. He ate 8 -- yes. Silkies apparently are delicious to chameleon. mine turns really bright when he sees me carrying a silky and clumsily run toward me(like a little kid see his parents bring home a candy)

How long do the wormies live? about 3 to 6 weeks before the cocoon periodHow long does that 'wet'food keep in the fridge, how much do I feed them ? i believe about a month in the closet and 6 months in the fridge. but your food is so gonna be gone be4 that. they are voracious eaters. How much do you feed them? Enough for them to keep eating for 24/7. Take out any of the food that has gone dry. it needs to stay moist. not wet! wet will promotes mold. and mold kills your silkies like nobody's business

Thanks in advance.

life expectancy

I noticed on a batch of mine that if you don't feed the silkies so much they, say every other day, the grow slower which will in turn give you more time before the spin their cacoon. This works unless you want them to spin fast, then feed every day.

brandaeleon, you are correct.
but just make sure although silkies can stand without food for a week, they get dehydrated easily. so, just be aware of that when you try to slow down their growth.

Back
Top Bottom