Silk Plants?

RachelRiot

Ok I noticed that all of the "fake" plants at the pet stores are silk plants. I am fortunate enough to live near a huge Silk Warehouse (they sell every plant you can imagine, fake of course). I am wondering if all silk plants are safe to put in there or if only the ones from the pet store.

I dont see any visible difference in the two but I am not willing to just risk it. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

They should be fine if they are like the exo-terra ones. Just remember though that real plants are a necessity.

Yes I know. I am planning on using the silks in the current cage and at the begining of the year when we upgrade her home we will be using as many live plants as possible.

Yes I know. I am planning on using the silks in the current cage and at the begining of the year when we upgrade her home we will be using as many live plants as possible.

i recommend to go ahead and get real plants.
Far more superior than silk plants.

I am not a fan of silk plants for a few reasons. Plastic plants clean up easier, can be bleached with a 10% bleach solution and rinsed. Silk plants cannot be bleached, and are usually "painted" and can contain dangerous chemicals-especially the ones not meant for terrarium use like the ones in craft stores. Water kind of soaks into silks and they can get mildewy where it beads up on plastics and gives the chams a place to drink from. I use live plants with plastics in some of the corners for cover.

I am not a fan of silk plants for a few reasons. Plastic plants clean up easier, can be bleached with a 10% bleach solution and rinsed. Silk plants cannot be bleached, and are usually "painted" and can contain dangerous chemicals-especially the ones not meant for terrarium use like the ones in craft stores. Water kind of soaks into silks and they can get mildewy where it beads up on plastics and gives the chams a place to drink from. I use live plants with plastics in some of the corners for cover.

Hi Julirs,

I see you are in the Tampa Area so am I. :)

Thank you very much that was the kind of response I was looking for. I am going to go ahead and get a small ficus for the time being and add a few more plastic plants in there.

Rachel! Cool-always good to have people in the area! Need any Veileds! :)

Here is the secret on plastic plants-at Petsmart they sell these for $8.00-but I noticed they don't carry the big ones-at Reptilesupply.com these are $4.00-these things are huge and I use them as fillers in most of my cages...they are viney and the leaves are a nice size.
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=316

Rachel! Cool-always good to have people in the area! Need any Veileds! :)

Here is the secret on plastic plants-at Petsmart they sell these for $8.00-but I noticed they don't carry the big ones-at Reptilesupply.com these are $4.00-these things are huge and I use them as fillers in most of my cages...they are viney and the leaves are a nice size.
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=316

My husband says no more right now. But that "right now" means there is hope. lol Thank you! :)

I think that is what my husband said after the second one! :) You guys will have to come and visit so I can talk him into one!

Back
Top Bottom