Shuddering/Shivering??

vbriggs06

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Male, Translucent Veiled Chameleon, Age unknown (but would guess somewhere between "baby" and sub-adult" ... he can sit entirely on my index finger! so cute!)
* Handling - Not often, maybe twice a week - but he surprisingly very comfortable when handled (doesn't get stressed out easily)
* Feeding - Gut Loaded, lightly Dusted Crickets every day and the occasional butter or wax worm...
* Supplements - (see above) ...Using ReptiCal and Total Bites...
* Watering - Has a drip system in terrarium.
* Fecal Description - Unknown. (Only had him for three days and he hasn't pooped yet...)
* History - Unknown. (Only had him for three days - got him from a local, trusted pet store)

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Screen Terrarium, Approximately 2 feet X 2 feet X 4.5 feet
* Lighting - Solar Glo Professional Series 125W (UVA, UVB, Heat... all-in-one sorta thing)... on a timer from 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM
* Temperature - The temperature is pretty steady between 79F and 82F (no lower, no higher)...using a digital ExoTerra thermometer...
* Humidity - Usually at around 60% + ...using a digital ExoTerra Hygrometer...
* Plants - No Live plants in his terrarium.
* Placement - The cage is in my bedroom (fairly low-traffic), not near a window or any vents or drafts... it sits on a platform with wheels (locked so it doesn't move) that lifts it about 2-3 inches off the ground... not close to the ceiling...
* Location - Ontario, Canada (GTA Area)

* Current Problem - So! I recently lost my beloved Izzy (she became egg bound...) but was pleasantly surprised with a new little guy, courtesy of my brother. As I said is just a little guy (named him Rango) - is a translucent veiled cham and he has a healthy appetite, he drinks his water, he's active, etc... but over the past couple of days that I have had him I noticed that every once in a while (I've only witnessed it three times) he shudders. It's almost like he's chilled or something - like his whole body just shivers for a split second... He doesn't seem to be ill or anything, but I have never seen a chameleon do that. Could it possibly be that he was under supplemented prior to me owning him, and that's causing the shuddering??

Thanks in advance for your help!

ataraxia

Avid Member
i kick myself in the butt for not buying a female translucent at the chicago show all the time. i want to see pics!! sorry i dont have any idea on shivering with temps in the 80's although personally i would raise them to 85 basking and room temp floor.

just a quick observation of your husbandry. you have one part of the dusting schedule but will need two others. plain calcium without D3 every feeding and calcium with D3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month. are you spraying at all or just relying on the drip system? lights- are they linear bulbs, coil or cfl? pics of the chameleon and set up would be helpful.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/basic-chameleon-cycle-care-51848/

vbriggs06

Hmm ok well. The ReptiCal that I have has D3 in it... so I see I should cut back on that (drastically) and get some plain Calcium (if I can find any.. I remember it being impossible to get Calcium without D3 when I bought this supply...)

Another thing that just occurred to me - the link you provided says a 12 hour light cycle, which I'm doing.. but the past two days he crawled into his "Bed-spot" (hidden away from the light in the leaves in the same corner every night) a couple of hours before his light went off, and was asleep about half an hour before his light went off... should I be worried about this behaviour? Could it be that he's just a baby? Or possibly a sign of relocation stress??

I just really hope he's not sick - I'm so paranoid after losing my first cham, Izzy - everything I think isn't normal freaks me out and I think he's sick or something.. gaah!

Also here are some pics :)

rango edit 1.jpg

rango edit 2.jpg

Top Bottom