Should I? Opinions needed to help rationalize.

RPCV

Avid Member
I have been somewhat proud of my ability to avoid temptation and get more than one cham but the stars may have aligned. My wife is, for the most part, not a fan of critters. Over the years my daughter and I have talked her into allowing a cham, 2 cats and a hamster. Most comments about getting anything more results in her pointing that she has a condo picked out that she'll be moving into.

Our basement is finished and in the course of one day we were talking how to decorate/furnish and she asked what I wanted for my 40th b-day later this year. A light bulb went off and I suggested getting a large piece of nice furniture that could cover most of one wall and have multiple cham enclosures. I was waiting for the "fine - I'll look into condo prices and you can get your chams" retort, BUT instead I got an eye roll and a "whatever". In my male mind that means "yes" and was the same response that got me my first cham.

Not sure if I'm going to do it yet but want to get some ideas and figured this would be a group that could help me rationalize why I should. Some opinions needed:
- Thinking about an enclosure piece about 8 feet long, 20 inches deep and 3 feet high on top of a 2 foot stand. Subdivided into 5 habitats. Anyone seen or done something similar? Know of anyone who builds custom enclosures like this? To keep the wife happy I need the nice piece O furniture look. I learned long ago that I don't have the skills or patience to build anything myself.
- This would give me 6 chams (5 plus my current set up). Thinking 2 more panthers (female, male and my old boy), a veiled, a jacksons or graceful & one empty for a possible trial run at breeding (would need to keep one of the babies).
- Please post pics if you have done anything similar. How misting systems were set up for a large system like this, drainage, lighting fixtures, etc. I'd love to get ideas and approximate costs.

Excited about the possibility - but also want to make sure it is something I will be into for the long term so will not pull the trigger unless I'm just as excited 6 months from now as I am today.:D

welcome to the chameleon addiction! there are some pictures in the "enclosure and supply" section i believe. but im sure someone will post some for you to see. im still working on the cages for my basement but when im done i will send you some pics. good luck with your wife!:D

You should do it. I know that people always say 24x24x48 for veileds and panthers, but I know people successfully keep them in 18x18x36. 5 of those, side by side, would be just under 8 feet wide.

Back
Top Bottom