Should i mist directly on to my chameleon

SpikeTheVeiled

hi,
quite a newbie question...
...I have a 4 and one half month old veiled chameleon and when i mist his cage should i spray actually on the chameleon a lot because i have read in a book that you should spray your chameleon directly a lot.:confused:
I do spray him directly a bit but not a lot, am i doing something wrong?????

indirectly

Personally, misting/spraying directly on the chameleon may startle and stress him/her out; therefore, resulting in a chameleon who may get upset or rush to another area of the enclosure to get away resulting in injury. Some chameleons will actually drop when they feel they are in danger and may be an outcome as a result of direct misting. Also there is an increased potential to spray water in the cham's eyes which could result in infection.

Some chams may be used to their owner directly misting them. I know my cham can not stand to be misted directly.

Indirect misting/spraying is the best and safe method that should be practiced for your cham. Also, use luke warm water when spraying rather than hot or cold water as it may have the same affects as spraying the cham directly (that is... a startled/alarmed sensation when reacting to the temp changes).

i personally mist 4 times a day and mist the cage for 2 mins then the cham directly on the softest spray option from about 8 inches away with warm water...he runs at first then walks into the pth of the water and likes it for a few seconds...so i spray him lightly

I would not do it due to stressing the cham, take what jukebox said seriously.

I think it largely depends on your cham. I used to spray mostly indirectly, but my cham has since decided he likes being sprayed directly. When it's time for a misting he always goes to the perch with the least amount of plant in the way and drinks directly from the spray.

However, if your cham shows signs of stress from being misted, I'd stick to indirect

i usually spray the cage first so he sees what i am doing then gradually ease the spray until it is directly on him and he loves it and drinks for quite some time,when he has had enough he wanders away.just remember if you do mist direct to stop at intervals to allow your cham to swallow

I have a misting system and my chams are used to getting sprayed directly (if in the area of the misting nozzle). Some will step into the mist. As for my little Melleri... They get direct misting by hand with warm mist. This helps to trigger them to drink and isn't such a shock first thing in the morning. They don't seem to have any issue and don't flee for cover.

I don't see an issue with spaying the cham directly as long as you don't drawn them. If you see a small cham raise its head, it is trying to get air... back off the misting or stop and give the cham a moment to breath. Sometimes they will tilt their head back to drink.... so be sure your reading your cham correctly.

hi,
...I have a 4 and one half month old veiled chameleon and when i mist his cage should i spray actually on the chameleon a lot because i have read in a book that you should spray your chameleon directly a lot.:confused:

hi,

My Cham (knightcrawler) loves when I spray a mist at him. At first I was shock that he probably would get stressed out so I never sprayed directly at him. I would mist the leaves n my bamboo plant. But than I noticed he would craw quick to the mist. So I can spray him. It's so cute he gets into this lion king position and just relaxes with he's eyes close and sometimes gets a drink of water. Btw it's my default pic so you can see what I mean.

hi,

I see no harm in spraying him, you will notice obviously signs of stress, spots or him being startled and making a dash for it.

I have a male veiled I've always sprayed him and his enclosure... But I always ensure that the water is warm and not cold... A mixture of boiled water and cold, warm tap water alone could harbor bacteria harming your cham. When you spray the enclosure take you time and when you spray him do it gently and from a far... no one likes being jet washed with cold water especially if you're nice and toasty!

Long story short - Spray gently, ease youre way in and slightly warm water!

In the wild they'd get rained on for sure!

Back
Top Bottom