Shipping question

lonomac

Just had a question about shipping chams. Ive had them shipped to me, just never the other way around. Its really hot where I live, would it be safe to ship out close to the evening overnight? Also other than boxing up the cham and shipping it is there anything special UPS needs to know other than its fragile? I just ship it regular overnight like any package im guessing. Just want to make sure this is done corrrectly :)

mine was shipped from ohio to south florida, no problems. temp here was round 90. the box is labeled pretty good, "keep out of direct sunlight, live animals, bla bla"

Just had a question about shipping chams. Ive had them shipped to me, just never the other way around. Its really hot where I live, would it be safe to ship out close to the evening overnight? Also other than boxing up the cham and shipping it is there anything special UPS needs to know other than its fragile? I just ship it regular overnight like any package im guessing. Just want to make sure this is done corrrectly :)

if you are afraid of the heat use cold pack.
I generally don't recommend people shipping the animal when the temp is above 87 F.

Mike from FLChams ships all his chams overnight in the evening. He leaves them around dinner time with UPS who is alerted of live shipping. They arrive before 10:30am the next day. The box says "Live" and has arrows facing upwards. Within the box he put some stryrofoam blocks and a deli container with the chameleon in it and some holes in the top. He ensures CB babies for the first week after arrival and not at all for WC.

My cham arrived very healthy but dehydrated (From FL to PA). There was a bit of condensation on the inside of the deli container, maybe it was sprayed before shipping.

I am pretty sure though that you can alert UPS that something is alive as well as fragile. There might be a standard shipping rate.
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/animals.html

Edit: Mike also won't ship to places with temps at 90 and above. He reccomends shipping in the fall and spring, not summer or winter when temps are extreme. Waiting until night and having it arrive early probably makes a difference though.

Good luck!!!!

Knowing the process UPS uses in your area may help you. Find out what time they are picked up from the facility and where it goes before it gets on the plane. Also, are the trucks they are transported in to the main UPS facility and then the ride to the airport, air conditioned?
Knowing the times will help yu as you can go to most weather sites and get hour to hour forecasts and you can determine if it would be too warm to ship without a cold pack.

Back
Top Bottom