Shedding

Mine sheds(Panther chameleon) about 1 or 2 times a month. That should maybe be about how many times yours should shed as well depending on how fast he is growing.

Has he grown very much? They usually shed when they out grow their skin. More often when young and not as often when grown.

I got a weight on him 3 days after he came home Aug 27th-16gr at approx. 3 mos old but I will have to get another weight on him now. He eats everyday -6-8 crickets and a Superworm. I now have Silkies so he gets those starting yesterday in addition to the crickets and SW till they are gone. He has noticably gotten bigger but I will get an accurate weight and post Friday. I mist several times a day and am setting up a drip system this weekend. He has live plants- Schefflera and Ficus as well as a plastic plant and vines and branches. He has a UVB light, 5.0 and a basking light and moves around quite a bit and goes to bed about the same time every night. He hates to be directly misted but I do occassionally just to be sure he stays hydrated. He was brown while basking and light green when sleeping but the last week he has been shades of green while basking too. He seems plump and well rounded and poops alot and it seems like a normal BM I have read descriptions of here. Dark brown and off white urates. It stays formed, not runny. Not sure what other info to add.
I can tell when my snakes are ready to shed but this is my first Cham and the newbie nerves are here again! Oh, his eyes seem well rounded and he spots the food dish immediately and never misses when eating. I use the food dish mainly to keep track of the crickets but should I place the Silkies on the leaves or branches to let him "hunt"? I very rarely hold him so he shouldn't be stressed for that reason. He will eat out of the dish even if I am holding it so he is afraid of me either. Direct misting is the only thing he shows aggressions towards. Thanks in advance for any tips or help. I don't know anyone that has a Cham so my only source of info has been this forum as well as LLL Reptile where I purchased the cage at the Reptile show in Daytona. This forum and the folks here are great and I also belong to a Ball Python Forum that I see a few members from here belong to also. I am so happy to find this place is as friendly and helpful as the snake folks are!
Sorry for the loooonggggg story but like I said, the nerves are a bit frazzled till I am comfortable taking care of this cute little guy!

Oh yes, they shed like crazy when they're that age Debbie. My female used to shed almost once a week lol! Nothing to be afraid of, in fact I get excited when mine sheds, means they're getting bigger and brighter in a lot of cases :)

Oh and I sent you an email and PM, did you see them? Eagerly awaiting your reply.

-Dave

How often do veiled chams shed? I have had mine about a month (thinking he was about 3-4 months old then) and he hasn't shed yet.

At that age I expect shedding to occur every 3 to 4 weeks.
He's probably pretty close .... you can't tell with them until it's almost time (maybe a day or so before) for them to explode .... and that is exactly what they do!

-Brad

If you have a little skin eater there, as many of them are, they can shed in a matter of a few hours and eat the evidence! He is probably close as Brad said, but at this age it happens very fast!

Ok thanks.........I hope he sheds soon. I know shedding is one sign of good health and want to keep him on track. I thought they should shed often when young and was concerned that he hadn't yet. (I say "he" but it actually and more than likely is a "she")

Dave, I am thinking but will decide in the next few hours.....I am concerned about getting "overstocked" but I am thinking another 200+ wouldn't hurt.

Julirs, Hmmmm, he is alone about 8 hours a day and if they brighten after a shed like the snakes then that may be the case because he certainly is growing. I guess eating the shed is ok?

With Veileds you can tell if they are he or she right at birth. Does "it" have spurs (small rounded bump) at the back of it's back feet?

That seems small, I will compare to my Cham's back feet when I get home. I had heard to it referred to as a spur so I pictured it larger.

Here is a female-no bump-scary that whoever you got it from could not sex it for you...
DSCN2179.jpg

Young male-bump...
DSCN2177.jpg

mine just went thru a shed. i wanted to pull off the dead skin on his eye lids so bad. it was pretty funny looking though.

Julirs, Well, in their defense I didn't ask. I did know that they are kept solitary and didn't plan on breeding and it didn't really matter to me. I guess I just like to know naming wise and now that I have researched in detail I will need to know whether I have to provide a nesting spot for her to lay eggs. I picked this one out based on looks (health-wise) and the fact it was out in the open and not cowering in a corner.

Julirs, from the pics posted of male and female I am pretty sure mine is a female. Also, she wieghed 16 gr on 8/27 at approx 3 mo. old and today, 9/19 she weighs 32 gr. before feeding. so in 23 days she has gained 16 gr. From the previous posts I should expect a shed any day now unless she shed during the day between then and now and I missed it? Thanks again to everyone for their helpful pictures and answers.

I wouldn't be worried-I bet you missed a shed if she is growing that fast! They are little piggies at this age. In about a month I would start to really monitor and limit her feeding and temps to keep her from cycling large clutches of eggs which is not a healthy thing for the poor females. Any pictures?

Back
Top Bottom