Shedding, shedding, shedding!

Tranke

My juvenile Chameleon started shedding today. Since I've had her I haven't witnessed this fascinating process, although I am curious about a few things. First of all, she's trying in vain to eat her disposed skin, is this safe? And is there anything else I can do for her aside from the occasional misting?

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Common for them to eat the skin. Be SURE all the dead skin comes off! If a small piece was to stay on around the tail or a leg or foot, it can cut off the blood and cause an amputation. That doesn't normally happen at all, but just something to watch out for. At such a young age, she should complete her shed in a day if not a few hours. Sometimes it comes off in pieces slowly or it can completly explode off in less than an hour. Good luck. David

My baby veiled has been eating alot since i got it but today i was having some trouble getting her to eat and she is all so shedding do you think that its not eating much because of the shedding.

from steve

My baby veiled has been eating alot since i got it but today i was having some trouble getting her to eat and she is all so shedding do you think that its not eating much because of the shedding.

from steve

yes this happens and is normal.

What's the average length of time for a 4-5 month old male veiled to finish shedding? Mine started shedding March 12th and is still shedding.

my cham is a 5 month old veiled and hasn't been eating very much and i noticed the other day he was shedding some skin on his chin... he's also been very tempermental lately. Is this all because he might be shedding or should i be worried?

I imagine the whole shedding prosess really sucks prolly pretty itchy kepp that humidity up there by misting the cage and make sure you got lotta plants vines and wood for him to rub the dead skin off on my panther dose circles pretty much passin through the many various plants. Both real and fake with each pass he looks better...

To the OP- up the mistings and the skin will come off.
eating the shed skin is normal, allbeit weird.
To EVERYONE else who posted here with their own questions, create a new thread so other members can help.

Hijacking the OPS thread will nto get your questions answered, and it makes it harder for people to follow the conversation.

Baby veileds can shed every 3-5 weeks until they are about 4-6 months old. They shed their whole body. it can take a few hours to a day, at max 2 days/
After this time frame, it can slow down, to about every 4-8 weeks, though the average is roughly 5.At this time, they may only shed a body part, like a leg, or their tail, or their head. this can take a few hours to a few days.
After a year old, they will probably shed about every 2-3 months. As adults, they normally shed a body part at a time. so one time it will be a leg, then another time it will be their head. etc. This can make it seem like they are in a constant state of shedding. This can take days and days for a full body shed to be completed, if they complete a full shed at all.

When a chameleon is shedding, up their misting sessions and lengths.
NEVER try to pulll stuck skin off, unless it appears to be cutting off circulation to toes, feet, tails, legs. etc. Even then, try a warm shower first.
Place the chameleon on a plant and place both on the floor of a shower. aim the showe rhead towards the wall, so that when the water is on, the water boucnes off the wall and a mist lands on the plant.
Make sure the water is warm, s othat the mist is warm.

If you still find stuck shed cutting off circulation, a vet visit may be in order.

Thank you for the awesome information! My veiled chameleon just started shedding this morning and I was so worried until I read the forums like this one.

I'm new can someone help me on how to navigate on this forum its very helpful I have a 14wk veiled cham

shedding again?

I have a 7 month old Valid he just did a whole body shed 10/14 it took about 3 days. I noticed yesterday he was rubbing on his vines again. I woke up today and he is starting tto shed again! Should i worry? Is it to soon? Its only been about three weeks. He eats and drinks and active as normal.

My baby veiled just started shedding. He hasn't eaten much in the past day or 2. Which I assume is part of it. How do I see if the skin is cutting of circulation?
Or causing him distress?

Yes it is normal for a chameleon to eat his shed :). Raise your humidity and mist your cham's cage more often, this will help with the proccess.

I've had my juvenile veiled for 3 weeks now and just caught him shedding today!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 1,075
Back
Top Bottom