Shedding problem

sibeers

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 1 year old Veiled. Had her for a year.
Handling - Handled once to twice a week.
Feeding - Mostly crickets. 6-8 a day. feeding them flukers orange cubes
Watering - Mist King system with one nozzle misting 6 times a day for 45 seconds at a time. she will drink from it when it drips.
Fecal Description - normal

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 24"x24"x48" screen and wood. one side has foam rock background.
Lighting - exoterra UV and heat lamp. 8 am to 8 pm.
Temperature - 75˚-85˚ lots of levels in the cage for temp differences.
Humidity - low 40's. I have a hygrometer.
Plants - One large pothos.
Placement - corner of my room near a window.
Location - Ohio

Current Problem - The problem I am having is that I haven't seen her shed her whole body in a while. I have seen her feet and her face shed and she seems to have a ring of skin that stops past her eyes. I know that humidity is a big part in shedding and I'm trying everything I can to keep it up but it won't for some reason. If there are any suggestions on how I can get her to shed completely or how to keep the cage humid I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

I will be living in Gahanna soon, cool to know there will be another cham keeper in the area.

Up in the Toledo area, I've never had a problem with humidity. I have the same kind of cage and the humidity stays in the 50s and 60s on its own. I mist twice a day anyway, and have a dripper because humidity helps with shedding, and obviously he needs to drink.

I keep towels in the bottom of the cage to give him a soft surface in case he falls and to catch water that drips off the plants. I plan to clean them weekly. That may contribute to the humidity, or it may just be because we're close to Lake Erie and the Maumee River.

I have heard of some people putting towels on the sides of the cage, then misting. The towels hold water and help keep the humidity up.

Is your lamp just heat and UVA? You will need a 5.0 ReptiGlo or ReptiSun fluorescent tube for her. They need both UVA and UVB.

I will be living in Gahanna soon, cool to know there will be another cham keeper in the area.

Up in the Toledo area, I've never had a problem with humidity. I have the same kind of cage and the humidity stays in the 50s and 60s on its own. I mist twice a day anyway, and have a dripper because humidity helps with shedding, and obviously he needs to drink.

I keep towels in the bottom of the cage to give him a soft surface in case he falls and to catch water that drips off the plants. I plan to clean them weekly. That may contribute to the humidity, or it may just be because we're close to Lake Erie and the Maumee River.

I have heard of some people putting towels on the sides of the cage, then misting. The towels hold water and help keep the humidity up.

Is your lamp just heat and UVA? You will need a 5.0 ReptiGlo or ReptiSun fluorescent tube for her. They need both UVA and UVB.

I hadnt thought of towels. I thought the cage was too deep to use any substrate. I'll give them a try. And my post was a little confusing. I do have a UV light and a heat lamp. I just think they are the same brand.

Thanks for the help!

Not really sure if that is a problem. I have a 10 month old that first shed his front legs one week, then the back, and then two weeks later did a whole body shed. When you say a "long time" what do you mean?. As far as I know they will shed when they are ready and yours is older and they shed less.

I guess it's been a couple of months. I didn't know that they shed less when they get older. Maybe there isn't a problem at all.

Thanks for enlightening me!

Back
Top Bottom