Sexable Meller's?

Well, hold on. For one, an experienced keeper observing interactions in a group of animals could get a good idea. Second, for an experienced keeper or vet, I believe they can be probed to determine sex. Third, hemipenal plug sheds rubbed on branches or recent imports that lay eggs? Fourth, I've heard there are actually physical differences. Everything from the body build around the hips and lower body to something about the occipital lobes shape or a marking or something. Don't know how true the latter is, since I've never kept them, but it comes from people who have actually bred the species. What about length of claws like in many other egg-laying species?

yes couple peeps told me that u can sex any species so my bad i will check my info next time sorry

No harm done. At one point, I was told that exact info and was mislead to believe it was with all the species also. The reason I knew the info I had been given about the spurs was wrong was because a Male Panther was my first purchase, and he didn't have spurs. You're not the only one who thought or thinks that. A local pet store owner even asked me why my male panther didn't have spurs on the back of his feet.

Last edited:
There is a book that actually claimed that to differentiate a male meller from a female is by looking underneath the flap behind the neck. Males usually have tons of black dots underneath while female almost have none..... However, i never breed meller before...so i can confirm this.

But do we really believe that this person knows these "possible" methods? My opinion, being realistic, this person got a group of 20 or 30 Melleri and knows people are going to want sexed animals (as they do with any animal on earth). She sought out a hopeful way to sex them and is gonna go with that (she'll probably be looking for heel spurs). I really doubt she's going to spend too much time probing or surgically sexing (as they do with young torts or green iguanas) to make a few bucks profit on a WC Melleri. She just hasn't yet realized that there's no spurs to see LOL.

Hey Holland,

If you notice she says " I have both male and females available", but she doesn't say anything about knowing which is which. I'm sure that it is just a guess. If she had some lay eggs then she knows what they are, other than that you probably can't be guaranteed anything.

But do we really believe that this person knows these "possible" methods?

I just posted that link for the folks asking about methods. I would not assume a dealer has correctly sexed (or guessed) their WC melleri stock.

One could ask them to produce proof: photos of the exact female laying eggs, hemipenes of the exact male for sale, etc. If one wants to take a gamble on adult "sexed" WC melleri, might as well ask for proof of gender. At the very least, get a photo of the actual animal for sale so you can eyeball its condition.

Back
Top Bottom