Sex of a Veiled

Hugo

I recently bought what I'm hoping is a male veiled cham (baby). Looking at his back feet i can see the tiniest of bumps which are so tiny i really have to look hard to see them. I can't tell if it is the spur or if it is just where the toes connect thats how small the bump is.

Are there any other ways i could tell if its a male at this point. Maybe coloring, attitude, etc. A side by side picture comparison of 2 opposite sex juveniles might help also.

if there is a bump, no mater how small its a boy

I may have to disagree... I had a Veiled I was using that rule on... There was definately a tiny spur, But not nearly as noticeable as any other males I had seen... Welp I put it up for discussion, and found that there are Manly woman veileds out there... And my personal conclusion is if you have to really look hard to see what might look like a spur... It is probably a female. Males spurs are ussually pretty obvious.

To the poster, Pics would definately help us determine the sex of your cham.

Look at this post from determining the sex of My Veiled. There was a tiny spur, Cooler color pattern than I had ever seen on a female, and still the conclusion was come to as a female... Several experienced keepers told me with 100% Certainty that it was a girl... Suprise!

Cuervo in Question.

thanks for the link, thats pretty much what my veiled's "spurs" look like, could someone post a link or picture of a young male veiled's spurs just so i can be sure?

Joe i wouldnt have considered that a spur.. great looking female though!
Thanks Ray... She is a beauty.

It sticks off of the back of the foot, and when you feel it, it is bone not just skin. Looks and feels like a little wannabe spur to me. I think some just have a bonier heel than others. Hugo sounds like he is going through the same thing I did. Post some pics and well check it out, But like I said ... the spur on a male is pretty obvious. If you have to question if it is a spur or not... I would bet you have a fem.

yeah id say i have a female, i have heard that females are a lot meaner/ more skiddish than males too and mine freaks out whenever my hand enters the cage for anything and its only like 2 months old tops.

Back
Top Bottom