Setups for youngsters

cowchick

Hello everyone, I'm curious to find out what you do when you first buy babies. I just purchased 2M/2F 1.5 month old ambilobe and will be receiving them in the next 2 weeks. He said to use a 10 gallon size due to their small size. I was planning on putting the two females together with the 3 month old veiled, but I didn't realize what a size difference that would be. What sizes do you guys use for 2 month old babies?

SmaUse a smaller cage, perhaps a large kritter keeper until they are large enough for a big cage. You can; of course get some small screen cages made for them, however im not sure how much you wana spend on them. I would not put them in with another species and especially a veild as it will likely be much larger. If you put the small chameleons into a full size cage right off the bat then will have too large of an area to cover. Smaller will allow you to keep better track of who is eating and doing what.

Hi Cowchick:

Sounds like you got some beauties from Steve...

I would invest in a couple of 10 or 15 gallon tanks if your on the cheap.. otherwise a couple a glass exoterra 12x12x18 would do nicely. Since you bought 2.2, you will be breeding in the near future and all these cages will be used again. Do allow these cages to dry out between misting or you will have a bacterial soup on your hands.

Be sure to graduate your Panthers to larger cages and house them individually when they are older. I usually split them up at about 10 -14 weeks depending on size at the time.

Once they are 6 - 8 months old and in their own cages already for a while, be sure to keep them out of each others immediate sight. This will prevent stress.

Definetely keep males out of each others sight and keep the females out of the males sight. Young sub adult females can produce infertile clutches of eggs , just from being in sight of males.

sorry.. after thought

you definetly need supplements, UVB light and basking light..

take it easy on the basking lights, don't overheat them.. a 25 watt bulb in a dome fixture shiould be good.. do check temps

also stay away from the compact flourescent uvb bulbs.. more than one breeder has told me that they can be lethal to young chams.. the long flourescent tubes are best.. reptisun 5.0 to be exact

Thanks guys, I'm starting to reconsider this as I just found out some more info which concerns me.

I just found out babies I put a deposit on are only 6 weeks old. I'm trying to put off picking up for 2 more weeks...after that they will charge me $30 per week for extra food. $30 for 4 babies? Holy crap that's a lot of crickets...geesh

What age does everyone sell baby panthers at? I think 3" and 1.5 months is awfully young don't you?

Thanks guys, I'm starting to reconsider this as I just found out some more info which concerns me.

I just found out babies I put a deposit on are only 6 weeks old. I'm trying to put off picking up for 2 more weeks...after that they will charge me $30 per week for extra food. $30 for 4 babies? Holy crap that's a lot of crickets...geesh

What age does everyone sell baby panthers at? I think 3" and 1.5 months is awfully young don't you?

90 days or 3 months old at the earliest Steph. The breeder you are getting them from doesn't seem to have any concern and just wants to make a quick buck.

I can't believe I haven't mentionned these yet, and that no one else here seems to use them although they are similar to those hanging exploriums. It's the europeans on another forum that told me to get one and they use them also for newborns/young chameleons until they're big enuff for a full size cage. I paid 8.99$ (Cdn), they hold moisture very well if you spray on the sidewalls cause the mesh holes are so small that they trap the water

cheap,lightweight,effective... the IKEA fyllen laundry basket:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80099224

I can't believe I haven't mentionned these yet, and that no one else here seems to use them although they are similar to those hanging exploriums. It's the europeans on another forum that told me to get one and they use them also for newborns/young chameleons until they're big enuff for a full size cage. I paid 8.99$ (Cdn), they hold moisture very well if you spray on the sidewalls cause the mesh holes are so small that they trap the water

cheap,lightweight,effective... the IKEA fyllen laundry basket:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80099224

Good idea. Electric, Sorry your having troubles allready Cowchick

Wow-diving into 4 panthers all at once! No gradual collection building! I agree with the 3 months old before selling-1.5 months seems awfully young. Are they related? I would never put them in with a Veiled either-the growth rates are hugely different.

Thanks guys!

Well Julirs, I set out to find an unrelated pair, and got talked into 4 and a melleriis adult male. Anywho, quickly came to my senses and decided on just 2 and no melleriis due to their difficulty and me only being a beginner.

I have managed to talk the guy into holding onto the babies until they are 11 weeks old with a slight increase in price, but I'm happy with that. They're just too fragile at such a young age!!! I also managed to verify that the parents were purchased from Screameleons and the male out of yurimari bloodlines. Female also from a totally unrelated clutch...so I'm excited right now and anxiously awaiting my new babies for the end of September!

cool so you're getting them from the usedottawa guy? I've been speaking a bit with him over email cause I'm somewhat interested but now he wants 260$ instead of 225$ for 1 male and for some reason I keep asking him to see pics cause I can't decide without seeing them, but he never responds about the pics almost as if avoiding ..?

just wondering if you were able to get any pictures out of him?

yeah that's sorta what I thought, I paid 200$ for mine from a reptile zoo/store and the batch came from connie dorval, she is your source for your breeders if I'm not mistaking (I think I read it somewhere on here) right chameleontario? If so, did you get to choose them from her in person or were they shipped?

Asking because I've still yet to see the sire of my ambanja and seeing as you deal with her maybe you've seen/bought him or if you contact her regularly maybe you could hustle a picture or two out of her for me lol, from her description he's a WC blue on blue, that's all I could get from emailing her, she said she doesn't have time for pictures...

yeah that's sorta what I thought, I paid 200$ for mine from a reptile zoo/store and the batch came from connie dorval, she is your source for your breeders if I'm not mistaking (I think I read it somewhere on here) right chameleontario? If so, did you get to choose them from her in person or were they shipped?

Asking because I've still yet to see the sire of my ambanja and seeing as you deal with her maybe you've seen/bought him or if you contact her regularly maybe you could hustle a picture or two out of her for me lol, from her description he's a WC blue on blue, that's all I could get from emailing her, she said she doesn't have time for pictures...

I haven't seen the sire either but I have full faith in Connies word. She's got an amazing rep and I'm sure they will all turn out to be nothing but fantastic :) So far they look very nice. I met her at her house to pay for them and she had them all their waiting for me :)

To answer your questions directed at me...yes I got pics of two different males that sire the two ambilobe clutches. He advertised the babies at 6 weeks old for $225 or $400 for two, so his prices are higher at 12 weeks old. I don't agree with selling them young, but I can't argue with his prices, cause they are his to dictate. He has imported these from a very reputable source and paid good money for the bloodlines, so I can appreciate his asking prices...although I can't get over why his prices seem to be different for different people:confused:

Anyways...another questions for babies enclosure...is 72 degrees and 68-75% humidity ok? This is a night temperature with lights off, although these are max and min humidities. What is the ideal basking temp?

hmm I'd wouldn't feel safe going over 26-27C with babies that young, but I'm no pro. Are you getting a pair from him then? male and female? If so, are you buying siblings? or are they from 2 completely non related clutches, and you plan to breed them?

@chameleontario, oh ok so if I'm getting this right, mine and yours would be from the same sire? do you have pics of all your males? all I can see are the ones of Cliff in your galery

Back
Top Bottom