San Diego Zoo Fun (pic heavy)

Vegas Chad

Avid Member
As several of you know Darci and I went on a cruse last week to Mexico for 5 days. That was a great time however after that we went down to San Diego for a few days to hand out with our SoCal friends and go to the zoo. Ryan, Tyler, Austin (my brother in law), myself as well as our wives won tickets to the zoo at a benefit auction in Phoenix last year, an added bonus of the winning was that we all also got a private behind the sense tour of the reptile facilities which was easily one of the coolest things that I have EVER done! Overall the public displays have normal things that are not too exciting but when you go behind the locked doors we got to see some super cool things, many of which I had never seen, seen in person, or was able to touch. I am sure Ryan and Kent will be posting pictures, and what they thought but we saw several cool things... Also... Tyler was not able to make it so Megan and Kent came.

-The non public tuataras and their display that was kept very cold and filmed 24/7
-The home of 13 giant Galapagos tortoises, we also got to feed them lots of carrots which in the grand scheme were just pre snacks. They were very social and fun.
-Sunny the Komodo dragon.
-Giant Parson Chameleon.
-Lots and Lots of awesome Fiji iguanas.
-Some of the recently confiscated Auzi geckos.
-Sun gazers.
-All kinds of crazy snakes.
-All kinds of rare frogs.

And a ton of other stuff... Here are some pictures, enjoy!

A giant tiki painting.
P1010472.jpg

A Catalina Island Pelican
P1010497.jpg

P1010492.jpg

P1010488.jpg

Mexican souvenir fun.
P1010564.jpg

P1010550.jpg

Heck yea!!! The Tiki-ness is growing.
P1010598.jpg

The gorilla that was looking at the picture book page by page.
P1010634.jpg

P1010635.jpg

Gabon viper
P1010697.jpg

Ryan took like 500 pictures, I need a CD of them!
P1010700.jpg

The last of the SD parson chameleons.
P1010704.jpg

P1010703.jpg

One of the special Fiji iguanas (kent, what was so special about this one?)
P1010705.jpg

One of the cage rows, they were all on wheels and are often pushed outside for natural sun.
P1010707.jpg

Another Fiji
P1010708.jpg

From the other side.
P1010711.jpg

Just in case... Lots and lots!
P1010715.jpg

They loved when you scratched their necks!
P1010718.jpg

Megan and the 200+ year old tort.
P1010728.jpg

The big ol necks and head will fit into the shell. Not the carrot stub though =)
P1010731.jpg

Some of the younger ones.
P1010734.jpg

Kent was so happy he cried, then tried to take one home; that did not work so well.
P1010733.jpg

P1010737.jpg

Sunny the Komodo dragon... He came when called, very cool!
P1010738.jpg

P1010740.jpg

Yeah, that's what he told us. I'm wanting to say he said it was an accidental pairing but I was kinda on information overload. Anyone else remember?

Edit: Also, another little tidbit for anyone who might be interested. That Parson's was part of the shipment USF&W confiscated in 2002. Many, most of the animals in that shipment were already adult size so it's safe to assume he's at least 9 years old. They also had some females but lost them due to "reproductive issues" and lost their eggs due to temperature control malfunctions during incubation.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what he told us. I'm wanting to say he said it was an accidental pairing but I was kinda on information overload. Anyone else remember?

Edit: Also, another little tidbit for anyone who might be interested. That Parson's was part of the shipment USF&W confiscated in 2002. Many, most of the animals in that shipment were already adult size so it's safe to assume he's at least 9 years old. They also had some females but lost them due to "reproductive issues" and lost their eggs due to temperature control malfunctions during incubation.

They are not sure if it was an intentional cross or a naturally occurring in the wild. There is one island that they naturally cross.

I also cannot believe you did not mention we got to see and touch a Tuatara.

oh yeah, I will be processing my photos tonight. Like Chad said I have lots of them. I think it is around 800 photos so there should be about 15 good ones. :D

What looked to be fully developed parsonii were cut from the eggs after they had died. So close!

Sucks I missed you guys at Pet Kingdom! Kent came by and told me about the fun at the park:D

Those torts are nothing compared to Ron at PK's Galop;)

They are not sure if it was an intentional cross or a naturally occurring in the wild. There is one island that they naturally cross.

I also cannot believe you did not mention we got to see and touch a Tuatara.

Thanks, Ryan. As for the tuatara, that was definitely one of my all-time herp highlights, but everytime I've mentioned it to someone I end up having to explain what they are. :( I was just waiting until the pictures are posted!

That is awesome you guys! However, I'm miffed that you didn't invite me. :mad: (wtf?) Man, I would have dropped everything to do that.... Please keep the pictures coming! :D

Back
Top Bottom