rubbing eye on branches?

BobberBiker

iv noticed a few times now my 6-7week old yemen chameleon has been rubbing his eye on the branch and it kinda pops out then goes back in. it looks like a bubble or something in his eye but after a few seconds it goes away. anyone have any ideas why he is doing this?

how do i raise humidity permanently? i cant add any more vents or anything.
il try get a photo but prob be impossible lol its only now and then i catch him doing it and he is still shy so tends to hide if i get close

how do i raise humidity permanently? i cant add any more vents or anything.
il try get a photo but prob be impossible lol its only now and then i catch him doing it and he is still shy so tends to hide if i get close

I have the same issue with my male ambilobe. It has been going on for about a year off and on. I finally tried the vitamin a treatment shown here and he has not scratched his eye for the last week. This is after applying a small amount to 1 cricket every day for 5 days the way they describe in the post below. I was able to find the same retinal palmitate brand they recommend at Sprouts for about $7 for 100 softgels.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/eye-problem-27421/index2.html

for keeping the humidity up you might try a cool mist or ultra sonic humidifier. I have the ultra sonic running a couple times a day on a timer and it keeps it a little higher. Hope this helps.

Misting?

How often do you mist? Water drippers are great for drinking but misting adds humidity and helps more with the process of keeping cham eyes clean. Chams will often start the eye cleaning process (popping the eye turret out and rotating the eye while the lid is shut) during misting. Your cham may have dry eyes or an irritant in the eye.

and the popping eye in and out is how they clean their eyes. It should not be a big deal unless they are excessively scratching or keeping one eye closed. If one eye is not closed, I would not try the vitamin a treatment yet. just watch out for that.

To raise humidity you could hang a shower curtain around the back three sides of the enclosure. That way when you mist the water is caught by the shower curtain and remains suspended there longer than it would just passing through the screen (I'm asuming you have a screen enclosure), and the curtain doesn't let the humidity escape as fast.

im having an issue with my veiled right now. it sounds similar and let me tell u... keep an eye on that little guy! at first, my cham would have this little bubble thing that would protrude out on his eye that would go away in a matter of less than a second... now his eye is gigantic and he rubs it on things to get the fluid out and lessen the pressure on it, ive been to 2 different vets now with multiple apointments at each, hes been on 5 different antibiotics and has been given vitamin injections and nothing is helping. he wont even eat any more, i have to hand feed him by opening his mouth with a credit card. he cant see his food because his vision is compromised with the swelling. he is being refered to UC Davis medical center in california which is going to cost like a bizzilion dollars. i already have almost a thousand dollars into him trying to get his eye fixed and im still goin....

just as a precautionary measure, i would take him in ASAP to be seen by your vet. does it look like a little bubble that pops out for a second like a fluid filled pocket type thing?

i truely hope its not an issue like this... but i would seriously follow up on it just in case

Bradley... Start your own thread and someone may be able to help. This thread is nearly 4 yrs old.
Kath.

Back
Top Bottom