Risk of impaction? (Baby veiled ate stick)

Quaz

There was a tiny twig on the bottom of my baby veileds vivarium that he swallowed after latching onto it while snagging a fruit fly. How high are the chance that this could become impacted? What do I do to help the current situation if anything? :confused:

Thanks

There is always a risk of impaction when a cham swallows something that is not easily digestable. However, if the twig was small enough, it might pass through without any problems.

What you need to do is monitor the cham's droppings and eating habits over the next couple of weeks quite closely. If he stops pooping or eating for no apparent reason (at that age, they should probably be eating quite voraciously, and pooping at least daily), then I think a trip to the vet would be prudent.

Other than that, just make sure that he is getting plenty of water. Hydration is an important part of preventing impactions.

Sorry to hear about your situation. How old is your baby veiled? We had an adult veiled eat twigs and get impacted. Extra-hydration helped him a great deal. Of course, he was older. We also fed him home-canned pears (no added sugar) to get things moving. He had not pooped in several weeks. After the daily shoers, and canned pears, he pooped out a bundle of twigs and recovered completely.

As Tygerr said, Perhaps you should observe him for now and hydrate him very well. In the mean time, clear the habitat of any substrate and twigs, debris, etc.

Please let us know how he does, and let us know if he poops.

Thanks for the quick response. The I don't know how old the chameleon is. tail and all he's only as big as my pinky. He is still voraciously eating fruit flies. I'll monitor his droppings and make sure that there isn't anything that could get stuck to his tongue hence forth. THanks again

Back
Top Bottom