Rhampholeon (R.) spinosus

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCaliSon

Avid Member
Okay... I have an itch to start working with some of the little guys. I am setting up a tank for some Bearded Pygs... But I am also interested in looking for any sources for Spinosus. I never see them for sale... No matter where I search. I know that probably means the price tag will be heavier than the Cham... But these little guys are too cool... If I could own a few I would be a happy champer.:D I saw a forum member had some hatch out last month... But he is Denmark... Anyone in the states keeping any?

Thanks!
Joe

I was thinking that had to be the case with as tough as they are to find... Beautifull little creature though. I know Chris A. has worked with them before... I haven't found or read anything yet that specifically states their legallity or if they had been banned from import, so I figured it might be worth it to put it out there. Is there a current list of Species that have been banned either from import to the states, or from export of Mady and Africa?

How come it is the hard to get ones I always want!?!?
Thanks,
Joe

Talking with Tom, Mike and a few others that have worked with this cham it should be noted that it is NOT an easy cham to care for...

Not everything has to be easy...:cool:lol Thanks Chad. I am extremely facsinated by them... And would love to try my hand at one of the tougher species, not necesarilly right now... This is the first I have inquired about them... so if I were to own one, I doubt it would be right away... Just putting it out there to see if they are even around at all, or should I give up on my dream all together.

Difficult?

I wouldn't say they are difficult. Just difficult to obtain. My recommendation is to avoid keeping them in tanks. I keep mine in a fully screened cage (in a greenhouse) with about a 2" layer of moss on the bottom. They get a small real ficus tree with a mature bark (not the spindly ones that are less than a year old). They sleep on the ends of the highest leaves. They hide behind branches when you peer into their cage. They look like lichen, moss, and bark. They disappear very easily into their enclosure.

I don't know if R. brevicaudatus or other pygmy leaf chameleons do well in glass enclosures. I don't work with those species, although I do enjoy watching them. If I knew the secret to keeping pygmy leaf chameleons for a healthy full lifespan, I would attempt to keep them again. For now, I am waiting for the magic formula from other keepers.

Elisa

They are legal and occasionally available as F1 farmed.

Good to see you here Elisa...oh and the key to pigmy leaf chams is getting CB :D
T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom