ReptileUV Mega-Ray lamps

gideonus

In doing research on optimal UVB lighting for chams, I ran across the website www.reptileuv.com, which discusses a new mercury vapor lamp developed by Bob MacCarger, supposedly the best in the world for herps. Under "reptile caresheets"/Lighting, the author says:

Currently, new technology has become available. There is now a superior light that "outshines" the rest. For more information, visit: Reptile UV.

So I checked it out. I think the specific item they're referring to is "Mega-Ray SB 100 watt Self-Ballasted Flood UVB Lamp" which supposedly doubles as both a basking light AND a UVB source, and, altho more costly than a Reptisun 5.0, supposedly has a far lower decay rate. More info is available at www.reptileuv.com/megaray-sb-100-watt-self-ballasted-flood-uvb-lamp.php

Does anyone know anything about these lamps and have any comments?

it says a min of 50 at 12", and then min of 50 at 20"?

then at the top it says 150-200 at 12" !? i dont think they know much about this lol they have totally conflicting data in 2 paragraphs. how hot does it get, and did they check for any UVC radiation leaks?

who knows only time will tell

No, if you read it again it says"

Specifications
Mega-Ray® SB 100-watt narrow-flood all-in-one is a 100-watt SB Par-38 True Frosted Flood Lamp. A true flood lamp, it will disperse usable UVB in a 30" circumference at a 20" distance.

MINIMUM distance setting of 12" will produce approximately 150-200 microwatts per square centimeter (uW/cm2) of UVB and 900-1200uW/cm2 of UVA.

MAXIMUM distance setting of 20" will produce 50-75 microwatts per square centimeter (uW/cm2) of UVB. (Distance is measured from lamp face to basking spot or reptile for optimum UVB and heat.)

Warranty
This bulb is warranted for 6 months to produce a minimum of 50 microwatts (uW/cm2) at 12" and our initial testing shows even higher readings.

hey i use the 160 watt mega ray, so far so good i love it and so does peices you just have to be precise on distances and check all the basking zones.... not just direct under the bulb around the sides, i have a 4 ft tall enclure no complaints ... i need to get a uv reader tho.. apparenly the light will last up to 1 year... but im guessing 9 months at most... to wrap it up i like.

Hi! Sorry this is a little late, been away for the weekend! :p

I definitely suggest using one! I have (and yes the life of the bulb is at least a year as mine is just failing now after 1.5years and this is the old style of bulb; the new ones - as the 100w is being replaced by a 120w - are much more stable and should easily reach this) been using one for my cham since I was able to! Got recommended it by a guy who breeds fijian iguanas and I'm so glad he told me about it!

You'll need to make sure the bulb is 12" above the enclosure (I highlight enclosure as you only want the cham in the range of 16-32" away from the bulb to have a normal level of UV they'd encounter in the wild) to make sure the right intensity of UV is achieved, and if you're making a basking spot, you'll only need a small supplementary bulb to get the temperatures you require!

These bulbs have been used for many years in zoos and other herpetological research environments but have only recently been transferred to small consumers, like us. They are amazing and I would highly recommend one!

Back
Top Bottom