ReptiGlo 5.0

sensation

ReptiGlo 5.0 Compact?

Did I waste my money? I just read a review that said "NO NOT buy Reptiglo" and after reading a few threads about MBD, I'm a little worried. It's a 26W 5.0 compact.

Oh and it says I need a UVA light? Never heard anyone else using this light...

Ok, I spent all night doing research and it seems they can cause blindness as well as other RISKS so I'm just going to go out and purchase a ReptiSun 5.0. I just don't want to risk anything. BTW, I purchased my carpet this weekend and am expecting him Wednesday!

Yeah I would go with the Reptisun 5.0
Like you say, quite a bit of negativity on the compacts.
I think most people are using the linear Reptisun 5.0.
Oooo how exciting..roll on Wednesday eh? :D

Yeah, the compact reptiglos had some kind of manufacturing change that made them unsafe. Either a reptiglo or reptisun linear would probably be best. UVA can come from a regular old incandescent bulb used for basking.

Several long term keepers here use the Reptiglo 5.0 compact bulb with no issues. Personally I stay stick to flourescent tubes.

I don't think a reptisun CFL has any fewer risks than a reptiglo CFL. I know some very reputable people on here use the reptiglo CFLs without problems for a long time, but the same was not said for he reptisun CFLs. But the risk of eye problems with CFLs is there regardless so if you're going to exchange it for a safer one you need to get a linear bulb. Neither linear reptiglos or reptisuns have been associated with eye problems so that's your safest bet.

Ok, I returned my Compact and then looked for the linear version but realized I may have one. I took it to PetCo and they said that the bulb I have is UVB. Now I will replace it regardless but I am wondering if yall can help me identify this bulb. I've taken a few pictures. So my question is, does it produce UVB?

DSCF0004-1.jpg

It reads "Repti-Glo 5.0 ExoTerra" 15W 18"
DSCF0013.jpg

Keep in mind that you should replace those every 6-8 months because they lose the ability to produce proper UVB after about 6 months. I write the date I purchase my bulbs on the bulb itself very discreetly with a Sharpie.

Yes, the reptiglo you have produces UVB. You know because it says 5.0, which refers to the concentration of UVB rays it emits. The 2.0 bulbs are for thick rainforest or ground dwelling animals where not much sun penetrates, 5.0 for moderate exposure, like tree levels where chams would be, and 10.0 for desert animals. Like jdog said, they need to be replaced every 6 months unless you have a UVB meter that allows you to measure the output. They stop producing UVB long before they stop glowing. Just fyi. :)

Thanks ferretinmyshoes, I just wanted to make sure it will last for a few days until I'm able to buy my Repti-Sun. Its about 3 months old now so I'll purchase the new UVB in a week or so and have it replaced next month.

Back
Top Bottom