Replacement Reptibreeze

deadhd5

Avid Member
You may have seen in another thread that my ExLrg Reptibreeze rusted after a few months of use, turns out it was old (pre-aluminum mesh stock). Luckily ZooMed has been fantastic, and promptly replaced the rusty cage with the newer all aluminum model.

Of course I used this as an opportunity to hone my cage setting up skills and try my best to hook Moe up. I have come to find out out my favorite and most functional set up (aka least likely to die) is a suspended pothos with bamboo sticks and a few vines. I think it is going to be a good home for Moe, especially as it fills out in the coming weeks.

I am all for continuous improvement, so tips and critiques are warmly welcomed.

IMG_20121125_145433.jpg

IMG_20121125_172444.jpg

And made a few updates to the cham room..

IMG_20121125_163841.jpg

Moe exploring his new pad...

IMG_20121125_145311.jpg

Thanks for looking! Eric

I like the look, how do you secure your bamboo rods?

I used #6 x 1/2 stainless steel tapping screws. They are small enough where they do not damage the mesh. The bamboo has soft material (like marrow) in the center surrounded by the tough outer layer. The screws go right in to the ends of the bamboo, just like screwing them into a nut.

Edit: Bamboo is really awesome and cheap! You get like 30' of it for $2.95 in the garden section at Lowes or THD. It is so strong I use it above the cage to suspend the pothos, but is clean and lightweight at the same time.

How did you go about getting a replacement? I'm in the UK and bought one for Monty when he was tiny. I have used it for about 6 months and some of the screen is rusting as well as the screws in the hinges. :mad:

How did you go about getting a replacement? I'm in the UK and bought one for Monty when he was tiny. I have used it for about 6 months and some of the screen is rusting as well as the screws in the hinges. :mad:

I just emailed their customer service through the ZooMed website. I had to provide either a receipt that showed I purchased it in less than a year or pictures of the rust. I did not have a receipt so I sent 3 pictures and the sent out a new one immediately.

Are your bamboo stick really slick? Sometimes I can only find really smooth bamboo that is hard to grip.

I also like this kind of set up because its so easy to maintain and simple to clean. I do this in a lot of my enclosures. Two pothos and some branches. One thing I want to point out is that it appears all the branches/bamboo are pretty much the same size (though I could be wrong.)But if that is the case, I would suggest adding a few more sizes so he can exercise his feet.

I just emailed their customer service through the ZooMed website. I had to provide either a receipt that showed I purchased it in less than a year or pictures of the rust. I did not have a receipt so I sent 3 pictures and the sent out a new one immediately.

Cool, thanks! Did you have to send the old one back at all?

Brilliant some good new about repibreeze!
im looking into buying a screen viv but dont have a large about of money to invest atm! do you think they have sorted the issue with rust now then?

Brilliant some good new about repibreeze!
im looking into buying a screen viv but dont have a large about of money to invest atm! do you think they have sorted the issue with rust now then?

Hi Katie, I can't say for sure, only time will tell, but I can tell you that the replacement cage was upgraded as far as the latches hinges were concerned.

Considering the quickness with which they replaced my old cage after mentioning "old steel mesh stock" I would guess that the screen was indeed upgraded (to aluminum) as well.

Fingers crossed! Think im going to get the large one. Just wondering how your tube lights are set up are they just resting on top of the cage?
Im struggling with light set up wanna get it right seems like your my best bet :)

Miss Lily, I also had a screen cage that rusted, I actually talked to zoo med because of this thread, anyways the lady was very nice and I did not have to send back my old cage and they promptly sent me a new on :D

Regards,
Nate

Back
Top Bottom