Red Wigglers

erika

I am new here and do not own a chameleon yet, but am wondering if red wigglers (red worms) are safe to feed. I know someone who grows them in a compost bin, so they would not be wild collected and would be offered as variety along with other feeders.

Thanks and I apologize if this has been covered and I just missed the post.

If the compost bin has any contact with the outdoors, there's chance of parasite. A chameleon may not see it as a potential prey item, as earth worms would not form part of the natural diet. Also some animals find reg wigglers to taste bad. And There are so many known-to-be-safe insect options available, ....That said, if you ensured the worms were clean and gut-cleared, offering one from time to time probably wont hurt.

earthworms from outside are likely to carry parasites(whether they can infect your chams is up for debate...no idea if they carry coccidia)

Composted worms should be relatively safe. Worms are an excellent food for many herps and have a good CA:p ratio(partly due to soil in the gut). However, they are certainly not a natural food for chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom