Red thing came out of my panther ambi's butt!

KingJulien

:eek:

He's a 6 month ambilobe with a cold (bubbles). I just got off the phone with the breeder who said to baby him and wait a few days before going to the vet since he is eating and drinking well.

Then I went to look at him again, and a big red thing poked out of his butt and then it went right back in.

What in the world is it??

Could have been a prolapse of some kind.
He has a URI, babying him wont help.
Its a respitory infection.
You either need to get your hands on some reptaid by amber technologies or take him to a vet and he will MOST LIKELY proscribe you baytril.

Could have been a prolapse of some kind.
He has a URI, babying him wont help.
Its a respitory infection.
You either need to get your hands on some reptaid by amber technologies or take him to a vet and he will MOST LIKELY proscribe you baytril.

The breeder mentioned the baytril, but said since he is eating and drinking well I shouldn't take him unless it persists. I will call him back...

Why wait until it persists?The vet bill probably will be more expensive if it gets worst. Hurry and get your cham to the vet!

If the "red thing" went back in, I wouldn't worry much about it.
The red thing you are talking about is his hemipenis. Once in a while, they can come out.. but, as long as it went right back in, then you are fine.
When it keeps hanging out and cannot get back in, then it's a prolapse.

The bubble thing is concerning...
I would consult your vet soon.
Where in california are you located? If you are in South California, and nearby Yorba Linda you can go to Dr. Tom Greek: http://tomgreek.com/

Or if you nearby Los Angeles, you can go to Dr Stein:
Geoff Stein, DVM
Dr Shipp's Animal Hospital
351 Foothill Rd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
Tel: (310) 550-0101

Here is one possible reason why your chameleon's have bubbles in his mouth:
http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/upper-respiratory-infection-warning.html

Lo, you're right, it's just his hemipenis. I had never seen it. I talked to the breeder again and he said that his other chameleons had a cold and mine never caught it. Since he just went through the stress of being relocated, that may have made him more prone to get sick. The blog dodolah directed me to describes the illness as an infection, and baytril as the antibiotic. It also says baytril is very strong with possible side effects, and I personally don't like to use antibiotics unless they are needed.

I'll follow the breeder's advice and wait and see how he does. Other than the bubbles this morning he seems fine. His eyes aren't sunken, his color is good, and he's active. He's eating and drinking well.

I'm in northern CA so I'll have to look up some local vets, just in case.

I talked to the breeder again and he said that his other chameleons had a cold and mine never caught it. Since he just went through the stress of being relocated, that may have made him more prone to get sick. The blog dodolah directed me to describes the illness as an infection, and baytril as the antibiotic. It also says baytril is very strong with possible side effects, and I personally don't like to use antibiotics unless they are needed.

I'll follow the breeder's advice and wait and see how he does. Other than the bubbles this morning he seems fine. His eyes aren't sunken, his color is good, and he's active. He's eating and drinking well.

I'm in northern CA so I'll have to look up some local vets, just in case.

For herpvet in the state CA, check this link:
http://www.herpvetconnection.com/calif.shtml

I don't believe chameleon can catch a cold; but, they can catch an infection (Please anyone correct me if i am wrong, or if this is just a semantic situation -"cold" vs "respiratory Infection"-)...

I think the Respiratory infection is mostly what people suspect when the chameleon exhibit symptoms like cold.
Baytril is actually quite a standard treatment. But, there are some chameleons out there that didn't respond well with baytril.
There are other medications (1.e: Fortaz) that can be used instead of baytril to remedy the situation.

If he exude more mucus in the immediate future (or display more symptoms listed in the article), I would go to the vet right away.
I don't see an infection can remedy itself without some sort of a treatment.

Thanks for all the information everyone. He's still looking really good. All the bubbles are gone and I have him out in the sun where he's keeping warm and looking pretty happy. Maybe he just had a mild infection, or maybe it's like for us humans, when you first wake up in the morning with a cold that's when you have the most phlegm. I'm still keeping a close eye on him.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. He was a lot better this morning, I kept him a little warmer than usual overnight with a blue night light, about 80 degrees. No bubbles since yesterday morning. He had a nice shed today and seems to be less stressed and back to normal, and he's eating and drinking well.

I would be suspicious of any breeder telling someone that his chameleons "caught a cold".

Well, it was sort of a cold, except a cold is caused by a virus. Maybe it would be more accurate to say it was like bronchitis, which is caused by an infection. He said some of his other chameleons had had the same thing before we bought him but he never got it. The stress of moving and then shedding today probably weakened his immune system enough to make him vulnerable. He told me what he would do, which was to wait and see if he got better. When I first noticed the bubbles yesterday morning it seemed like he was uncomfortable but not weakened and he steadily got better. It's the same tactic I would use when deciding if I should use medication on myself or my family. If the body's immune system can quickly fight off an invasion on its' own, then that's the best thing. If someone is pretty uncomfortable and it looks like it might worth it, then medicate. Maybe I just got lucky this time, but it seems to have worked out fine for my little guy.

This is off their website: Reptaid Ingredients:

Olive Leaf - Helps keep colds and flu at bay, supports immune system, high in antioxidants. Olive Leaf is an excellent anti-microbial that will kill viruses and bacteria.

Mustard Seed - Used in fevers, colds and influenza. Helps move acute conditions from the body more quickly.

Black Seed - An overall tonic herb known for its effects on the respiratory system, stomach and intestinal tract, kidney and liver, and the circulatory and immune system.

Pau D’arco - South American herb that is used for parasites and fungus. Also used for dry cough, anti-inflammatory and blood cleansing. We also use this herb for it’s anti-bacterial properties. Large doses or continued use of this product can cause miscarriage in pregnant animals.

Cloves - To rid the body of any microscopic parasites and soothes the intestinal tract. Strong disinfecting action.

Grapefruit Seed Extract – Used as a parasitic for small parasites. Has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. For more information go to www.biochemresearch.com.

Alcohol - To bring out the properties in the herbs and preserve the tincture.

Distilled Water.

A single 1 ounce bottle contains 300 doses.

Back
Top Bottom