Reccomend a Bearded Dragon Care Sheet?

KingJulien

Hi! I'm thinking about allowing my 13 yo son to get a bearded dragon soon. From what I've read and heard they are pretty easy to keep, and easy to handle. He really wants to touch my chameleon and I thought maybe a bearded would be more appropriate for him (not to mention it would keep him out of my cham's face).

Will they eat and thrive on just crix, supers, and dubias?

Beardeddragon.org is a great place to get care information!

What I can offer right now is that they will need a fairly large tank, I keep mine in 40 gallon breeders, they eat a TON, and you will be making salad daily. The can poop like a small to medium sized dog so be prepared for the cleanup, and they need some pretty high temperatures and UVB lighting.

Thanks!

They seem fairly social, so I wonder if it's it better to keep them alone or in pairs?

You can keep some females together, but not males, and not pairs unless you intend to breed. Then it is the same old routine with keep them apart until the female is old enough to breed-which is 2+ years.

Just make sure if you get multiple ones that you properly sex them. I got mine 2 months ago and she is great, very friendly most of the time and eats ANYTHING. Starting with an adult would probably be easier, cant really handle the babies too much as they are fragile.

My last bearded dragon lived with me for over 11 years.

I read the following care sheet and its a good one basically. I used a Repti-sun 5.0 long linear tube for a UVB source and dusted at most feedings with a Rep-cal calcium, twice a month with Rep-cal calcium/D3 and twice a month with Herptivite. IMHO the author is wrong about the vitamin A coming from carrots and other greens and veggies being bad for dragons since the vitamin A from those things is in the form of beta carotene and is converted as needed. It can not build up in the system because of that....
http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?127211-Bearded-Dragons-(Pogona-vitticeps

Back
Top Bottom