R-Zilla Halogen / Fluorescent Combo Dome Lamp

simple0936

I just got a new flap neck cham from a local rep store. I also bought all my set-up items there too (with the exception of the live plants). I’m happy to report all is well, and my little guy is adapting nicely to his new home. However, I was sold R-Zilla Halogen / Fluorescent Combo Dome Lamp for the cage and I have learned the lamp has been recalled. Is it the whole lamp assembly that has beeen recalled or just the UV bulb? Was/is this a good choice for my set up? (I don’t wan’t to take it back and piss off the shop b/c they are the only rep place around). Thanks

Howdy Mike,

The R-Zilla Desert Series 50 (and 25) UVB tubes were the culprits for causing illness and death among chameleons and other reptiles. If your R-Zilla tube is using the same phosphor in question then the same problems will likely result. If possible, be on the safe-side and use the Reptisun 5.0 linear (not compact) tube. More info here: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

simple, I would remove the lamp and return it immediately. Go with the Zoomed Reptisun linear tube 5.0-I also worry that the Petstore set you up wrong in other areas. What are you housing your new cham in?

RE: R-Zilla Halogen

I have a basic cage. it's small and I will have to upgrade as my cham grows. the cage has plastic on 3 sides, but it is also screened on top and the lower front. I live in Florida and it is hot and we run our AC, so I went w/a cage that has some glass (plastic?) to help with humidity. I have pothos & ficus inside w/ a "bend-a-branch" and a peice of wood (purchased from the store). the cage seems a little crowded but he has a few perches to sun and lots of places to hide. I'm feeding him silk worms currently. I mist the cage often... that's my set up... feedback welcome. I'll post a pic after work today.

I also live in Florida and have all screen cages for everyone. No problems with humidity even with the air running all day.

Howdy Mike,

The R-Zilla Desert Series 50 (and 25) UVB tubes were the culprits for causing illness and death among chameleons and other reptiles. If your R-Zilla tube is using the same phosphor in question then the same problems will likely result. If possible, be on the safe-side and use the Reptisun 5.0 linear (not compact) tube. More info here: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

I don't know about Desert Series 50s killing chameleons because I use the tropical series 25s for my chameleon, those are the ones you are supposed to use not the desert50s. Since I am a zilla owner, I also have the desert 50s but I use them for my bearded dragon and I have never had any problems. This must have been years ago because they seem fine to me now.

No offense to you, but the uvguide has some really extensive research with hard numbers and even harder facts backing it up. The cases of these going wrong seem alot more numerable than the ones where nothing goes wrong.

I wouldn't subject my reptiles to a proven product that malfunctions, I wouldn't even play the testing game either, good luck with that though. Living creatures aren't science experiments, I'd rather test the facts or see them done with UVB meters and the like, not just word of mouth or hope.

I hope your bearded and cham make it out in one piece.

Btw, welcome to the forums, necroposting isn't the best way to bump up your post score however. There was a similar thread like this one that was very recent.

Back
Top Bottom