R.Brev eggs are...hatching? Input/advice appreciated.

EvilLost

I have 4 very good looking R.brev eggs incubating for a long while now (I found them 1/18/12). They are light brown, look very healthy, and a nice LARGE peanut M&M size. It seems way too soon for them to be hatching though?

About a week ago, one of them shrank suddenly to about half the size. Nothing else has happened since, but I did see a dent in the egg today. Is it dead/dieing? :(

Also, today 2 of the other eggs have begun shrunking (1 rather drastically).

The fourth egg is "the same as always".

I have seen nothing of what I would call sweating/etc, as I have seen in other threads but I figured the r.brev eggs might be different....

I uploaded one pic...it won't let me uplaod the hi-def one ("upload failed" but i dont know why)

Attachments

• eggcaption.jpg
    eggcaption.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Here are some updated photos from today...

all the eggs are now shrinking (although the unhealthy egg from the other clutch seems to be recovering! yay)

there are multiple noticeable dents on the eggs (perhaps hard to see in pics, but in person they are very easy to see)

Attachments

• IMG_2255.jpg
    IMG_2255.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 117
I would guess that if you only found them on 1/18, that the eggs were most likely infertile -- unless they have drastically different growth rates than other chams and I am unaware*

*I have not dealt with this variety of cham

I would guess that if you only found them on 1/18, that the eggs were most likely infertile -- unless they have drastically different growth rates than other chams and I am unaware*

*I have not dealt with this variety of cham

yes and no... who knows how long they could have been there for..

I'm actually not positive, but I don't believe r.brev will lay eggs unless they have mated

i've always paired mine so i don't really know >.<

coldblooded is right; in comparison, the single "white" egg I took out on the day it was laid. the other 4 eggs were already much larger and mostly brown when I found them so they had to have been there for some period of time at least (they weren't freshly laid)

Last edited:
Are you sure that was when they were laid? You could have just found them after they had been laid weeks before that. They don't look like healthy eggs to me though...they look like they either aren't fertile or didn't make it.

well 1/18 is when I found them; not sure when they were laid exactly...

up until a week ago, they were consistently growing had great coloration and were up to the size of a very large peanut M&M (more than double their current size)

all 4 began shrinking (and now denting) within the past week (and all 4 had grown consistently over the past month)

yea I figured there was nothing I could do eitherway...just hoping someone could shed some light on it

will def keep updates coming on how they do

All I can offer is that my brev eggs looked healthy white all the way until hatching and did not decrease in size very much at all at the end. But I hope for your sake that babies pop out soon anyway! :)

Back
Top Bottom