Quick Question about Basking Lamp Wattage?? Also other temp question...

m1ndless

I am setting my my chams future "home", and I bought a clamp light and a 45w Halogen spotlight, I got the basking spot up to about 82, which obviously isn't hot enough..

I was wondering what would be a good wattage from your guys experience? 60W? 75W? 90W?

Also...

For a 2 month old cham, would 90f be a good basking temp?

During the day, the ambient temp of the enclosure was ~75, and drops to about ~65 at night, are those approiate temps, or should I make my bedroom warmer at night?

Thanks!

I was wondering what would be a good wattage from your guys experience? 60W? 75W? 90W?
Get a few different wattage incandescent bulbs (normal indoor lamp bulb). You will need to change wattage when indoor temps change. This requires occasional maintenance using a temp gauge.

For a 2 month old cham, would 90f be a good basking temp?
You need to be more specific please. What species?

Get a few different wattage incandescent bulbs (normal indoor lamp bulb). You will need to change wattage when indoor temps change. This requires occasional maintenance using a temp gauge.

You need to be more specific please. What species?

Its going to be a male veiled cham.

I put 3 temp guages in my enclosure, 2 near the basking area, and 1 on the other side where I can monitor ambient temps.

I don't exactly understand how how to read the crystal temp guages, the ones that just stick in your tank, it lights up a few of the temps, how do I read it?

I also put a humidity guage in the middle, is that a good spot for it? \

Should I take the Halogen bulb (big glass one) back and use the normal bulbs?

I've read in other posts on this forum that you don't want the temps too high for young chameleons. However I'm not sure at what age you would need to raise the temps a bit. I would guess around 4 months or so. It may also depend on what type of enclosure you have. Is it an all mesh enclosure with plenty of airflow?

Dyesub Dave. :D

I've read in other posts on this forum that you don't want the temps too high for young chameleons. However I'm not sure at what age you would need to raise the temps a bit. I would guess around 4 months or so. It may also depend on what type of enclosure you have. Is it an all mesh enclosure with plenty of airflow?

I know it's taboo, but I am using a 37 gallon glass tank until he is 4 months old. There is plenty of airflow in my room, he should be rine, other chams have been raised in that exact tank, it was given to me from my old room who has raied and owns over 5 chams.

I think I will get a 75w and just adjust the distance from the basking spot to get the right temps.

I use a 75 gal. tank for two of my female veileds right now. I have it set vertically to give them more of a temperature gradient. However I do want to get them set up properly in mesh enclosures. Recently the glass cracked from water hitting the spot where the heat lamp is. It's still holding but I don't want to take any chances. I have two smaller mesh cages which they will both be going in this weekend.

The only thing that you have to worry about in a glass tank is it overheating. Especially in a smaller tank set horizontally ... there's not much room for a temperature gradient! Also remember that if you set the tank vertically the UVB rays can't penetrate the glass so if you choose to set it up this way you need to change the side at the top to screen or place your UVB in front of the screen.

GOOD LUCK!

My tank is 30" W 24" Tall and 12" Deep right now, I plan on building a 42" tall 24" wide and 24 wide enclosure once he gets a little bigger.

i had my cham in the same size tank when i started out. he was a 2 monthish veild as well. it worked fine for a month or two then i moved him in the 2'x2'x4' screen cage. the only problem i had was with the excess water. i had to change the paper towls that i had down at the bottom everyday or twice a day because they were wet from my dripper. i think i read that you are getting a collecting bowl in yours? if so defnially put screen around it and make sure it is secure and you can probably empty it in the morning when you do everything. when i had mine in there i had my basking area of about that same temp and he was fine. make sure its all the way on one side and not in the middle so the hot air will rise and the cold air will sink into the cage giving some circulation. i thought it was too much of a hassle keeping him in there at his age so i moved him up to his new cage, and he was fine with it.

that tank is what i have my baby turtles in now.

Last edited:
82 degrees in a glass tank definetely borders on being too hot for a 2 month old veiled.
85 degrees is the absolute hottest I would go in an all screen enclosure for a cham that age.
I didn't offer a basking light at all until 3 or 4 months old......I think you need to stick with a 40 watt bulb and raise it a little higher.
cooler is ALWAYS better with a baby! In an aquarium I would shoot for 75 to 78 degrees for the basking spot.

-Brad

The tempature was ~80 in the basking spot with the 45W bulb, will that be alright if I move it up a tad?

I plan in ~2 months when the cham is about 4 moths, I will build a 42"X24"x24" enclosure for him and add a better basking spot and a larger ficus and other plants.

Thanks

I would think that if he's always at the bottom of the enclosure and trying to hide under leaves etc. that could be indication that he's too hot.

Thanks guys, I have been looking all over town, but have yet to find a store selling young male veileds, I might have to mail order.

he doesnt really hide he just adventures around. i dont think he is too hot because the basking temp is ~85. i think he just likes to walk around.

it might be better to order one threw a breeder, they usually take really good care of them. they are a little more expensive but its worth a healthy cham.

he doesnt really hide he just adventures around. i dont think he is too hot because the basking temp is ~85. i think he just likes to walk around.

it might be better to order one threw a breeder, they usually take really good care of them. they are a little more expensive but its worth a healthy cham.

How do I find breeders? Should I check the newspaper?

I went to PetsMart today, and they had 1 male veiled cham, it was about 5inches long, it was in HORRIBLE condition, they had a small water dish in there with dead bugs in it, humidity was at 35%, and I didn't see any food in the entire enclosure! He was just sitting there, sleeping, and he looked like he had a rash on his side, or was scraped up ir something, and worst of all they wanted $90 for it! I informed the person in that area about the cage, but they didn't seem to care too much, poor cham!

How do I find breeders? Should I check the newspaper?

I went to PetsMart today, and they had 1 male veiled cham, it was about 5inches long, it was in HORRIBLE condition, they had a small water dish in there with dead bugs in it, humidity was at 35%, and I didn't see any food in the entire enclosure! He was just sitting there, sleeping, and he looked like he had a rash on his side, or was scraped up ir something, and worst of all they wanted $90 for it! I informed the person in that area about the cage, but they didn't seem to care too much, poor cham!

Whatever you do DON'T BUY from PetSmart! i know it's mean.. but buying that poor cham will open some opportunities for them to torture another chameleons.
You want a good breeder veiled chameleon?
I say the kammers!
chameleonsonly.com
They are nice people and sell topnotch quality chameleons.
plus it's 80 bucks for the baby (unfortunately not including shipping lol)
and you might get a scolding from them, if you gonna keep it in glass enclosure..
I will refrain myself from scolding you :D!
just so you know, my first chameleon get sick real fast from the glass enclosure. (i am one of the guy who gets tricked by petco and their care sheet. that's why i'm a bit bitter toward them :D)

and it cost me a lot to get him back on his feet.
I learned my lessons.

but there are others who sell for 40 bucks.
check out the chameleons for sale in this forum..
I think there are many new hatchlings this seasons, i'm sure there are some who willing to sell you their baby chams.

I found a few, its only $70 shipped from some sites, not too bad.

I am going to check the newspaper on sunday and see if I find any.

My old roomate raied numerous chams in that tank without any diffuculties, he will help me to ensure I don't run into any problems.

I just found my local newspaper online classifieds, I am looking now!

Back
Top Bottom