Quick advice please

danielle609

Established Member
Hi All!!

Sorry I haven't been on here too much lately..I am getting married in a little over a month, so I have been very occupied with that. But I looked at my eggs that were layed on 11-30-07and saw a slit. So I freaked a little because I had nothing ready for them, so I ran around getting stuff for them. I couldn't find Fruit Flys anywhere and was getting panicked, but then I reminded myself that they arn't even out of the egg yet, so I can order some overnight...problem solved...until... I look at my eggs that were layed on 1-27-08 (the two clutches arn't even close to each other, different drawers.) and I see a baby laying in the corner. I thought I hadn't gotten to it in time and it was dead. But I picked it up and it climbed up my finger. The problem is that its yolk sac is already gone, and I have the FF's arn't going to be here until tomorrow morning. Is he going to be okay? (I think it is a he and his name is Chester :) ) Sorry this is all jumbled together, but I don't have time to organize my thoughts.

I went to the pet store and bought critter keeper (either small or medium) and a little plastic plant for each one (will post pics later.) My plan is to put 3 of the cages into a 10 gallon side by side and put the UV strip across so that it isn't too close to them. Just a UV should be fine right? The temp is low 80's. Like I said, I will post pics a little later when I upload them. I am going to list out my questions since this post is a jumbled mess.

1) Will my lone hatchling be ok until the FF's arive in the morning...or is there anyone around Grand Rapids michigan that could loan me some :)

2) Can I put newspaper at the bottom of their cages, or is paper towel prefered?? It is so much easier to cut newspaper to size and I have plenty of it.

3) Is just the UV strip enough, or will they need a heat lamp too?

Thanks everyone...I am still feeling funny right now, these are my first hatchlings...They didn't pick a very good time to hatch, but I am still excited...you may call me Mommy Dani :)

(I don't have time to proof-read this so sorry for any errors!)

1:He should be fine without the flies till tomorrow. they just sit on branches with their eyes closed for a day or two. their tummys are full from the yolk so he gona be ok.
2:news paper will do the job.
3:i use a 20 watt bulb to give them a little heat.more watts than that dry up their cages fast and inturn killed some babies for me in the past.

provide planty braches and a live plant so the leaves hold plenty dropletts of water for them to drink.along with a constant supply of food(fruitflies or pins) for the first 2-4 weeks and voala! uve got strong healthy baby chams!

hope my insight helps!
good luck!

They are supposed to absorb the yolk sac before they climb out of the egg...but that doesn't mean that the little chameleon has used it up yet.

If your container/cage is small you will overheat it with a heat light. The temperature should be in the low 80's in the cage.

Thanks everybody! Actually I am pretty sure the little guy that is out of the egg has been out for a while. He is cruzin around his tank like a little champ. I finally found some FF's at a Petco, and bought some mesh so they couldn't get out of the cage, but he hasn't eaten any yet. I will be posting pictures I promise, I just haven't gotten that far yet. In a couple of days I will probably have over 35 babies...what have I gotten myself into..LOL..J/K, I can't wait until they get big, but then I need to find home for them :(

Alright...so my camera is broke...we are going this weekend to get a new one!! I was so excited, I wanted to post pics of my babies! So can anyone recomend a good camera under $200?? There are only 2 out of the egg so far...and they both like to hang upside down from the mesh..is this okay?? Thanks everybody...pics will be posted when I get a camera, and hopefully more have decided to come out of the shell!!

Back
Top Bottom