Question regarding activity level.

amalthea23

So, two weeks ago this Sunday, I came into possession of my first cham. She's a Jackson's, purchased at a reptile show. Her stats are as follows:
Handling: The first day I held her a bit, and she had one other outing just sitting on my head while I worked on the computer. Otherwise, she's just moved if I have to clean her enclosure.
Feeding - She's eating crickets gutloaded with flukers for at least 24 hours beforehand (usually longer,) some hornworms, and phoenix worms. She's eating daily.
Supplements - She's had one group of crickets dusted with reptical with D3, I plan on doing that once a week. I'm picking up vitamins shortly, but I'd love recommendations. What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - She has a fogger going 12 hours a day. I have yet to see her drinking. Humidity in the enclosure (mesh) ranges from 60-75%.
Fecal Description - I don't know if she's been tested. Droppings are a firm dark mass and a clear liquid with a *tiny* bit of white. She's pooping at least every other day.
Her enclosure also contains a ficus, pothos and hoya plant. Temperature in the warmest part of her basking area is 83.5, in the coldest part of her tank it's 66.6. She has a UVB light 5.0 on 12 hours a day. Heat is also on 12 hours a day.
Photos of her can be seen here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalthea23/sets/72157629899224231/with/7133401309/
My question is, exactly HOW active should she be? As soon as her lights turn on, she's awake. She's bright eyed, and goes to her favorite place (a perch within penetration range of the UVB bulb, but not too close to the hot spot, and nearest the window.) She is FASCINATED by looking out windows. When I have taken her out, she hustles along, but the moment you bring her to a window, she's transfixed. This may be coincidence, I have no idea!
She was purchased along with a male. My friend took the male and according to her, he is QUITE active. He's climbing all over the place in his tank. Mordrid (her name) eats well, her poop seems healthy, she has no signs of illness, but I'm concerned that she's not running around. Is this something I should worry about? Also, particularly after she eats, she likes to go to the basking area and open her mouth at the heat light. Yesterday, she ate a hornworm, and went over to the basking area, and stood on her hind legs, with front legs up in a "victory" sort of gesture, opened her mouth and stood there for at least a full minute. Is she just an odd duck? Should I worry? I'm sorry for writing a novel here, I just want to give her the best care possible!

My veiled male has a thing about windows also. I made him a free-range along a wall, into a corner and over to a window and he ignored all of it except the window area. He would sit and watch whats going on all day, move around to eat and drink and go back to the window perch. I could take him anyplace and he would be happy if he could sit in a window and watch things. His fascination comes in handy and gives him something to do now that he is recovering from an injury...

A friend of mine has a female jackson's that is also fairly inactive. Alert and healthy but probably only uses less than a cubic foot of her enclosure if that helps any?

Sorry I can't help with more of your questions... Hopefully some others with more experience will join in here.

Now that she's more acclimated, she seems to be more active. She does love looking out the window, but she's up and down the cage and using her "vine highways" on a fairly regular basis. Never having had one before, I think I under estimated how long they can take to acclimate.

Back
Top Bottom