Question on starting a background

angus310

Instead of going with the cocoa fiber for a background is there a nontoxic paint that could be sprayed on the foam?

Anyone know any non-toxic paint which could stand up under the humiditiy?

Laytex house paint is usually the best non toxic paint to use. All spray paint will melt the foam and be toxic. Laytex will be like plastic when it dries.

A few people I know were using latex thinset and fortafier. I opted not to because of the weight of it.

I just received my "new" used cage from Tyler. Easy to put together and an all around great buy.

I then started to get everything together to customize it.

I bought:
3 cans of paint
1 brown for background
1 mixed brown for background
1 black for stand
I already have a stand from my aquarium, which I am going to paint to match the cage and another stand in my office.

Plastic Fencing
2 dowls
As I wanted to make sure this cage will be good for Elvis when he grows up, I bought some plastic fencing with 1/4" squares and some dowls to hang it from just to make sure it will easily and comfortably support his weight.

Silicone Sealant
put around the PVC bottom where it meets the cage frame(if needed)
to secure the dowls and fencing

Plywood measured to the size of the back of the cage
The Great Stuff foam
Screws
just to make sure the heavier pieces of driftwood don't separate from the foam and also to secure the wood to the frame of the cage.
I am going to make the background on the plywood and then put it in the cage. This way I can take it in and out if needed.
I started with the bottom half and applied the great stuff foam, now just waiting for it to dry overnight to apply another layer.

I will post pics of the process once completed.

Make sure you buy a lot of Great Stuff, and even more Silicone. I used black, that that's obviously a personal preference.

Any spray paint will melt your foam.

Maybe get like a sand or dirt colored latex paint, and put actualy sand on it? just an idea.

I saw that but the guy at home depot said a lot of people bring it back because the clog easily.

I found a fake stone spray paint that I want to try. I actually used the black version on the back of my aquarium, which really is an absolutely amazing idea. real easy, fast and relatively cheap. I couldn't imagine an aquarium without it now.

I was thinking of going with brown latex base coat and then spray painting some areas. Not that it has to be perfect figuring the plants and vines will pretty much block the view.

Another forum member was concerned about the toxicity of the spray paint on a continual basis.

I am going to try to follow through with my plan and then find something called latex sealant. This way the spray paint is sealed too.

Any thoughts of using some moss in several spots on the background?

Last edited:
Moss sounds cool, but also, be carefull about the toxicity, it's something that's going to be there for forever. Water dripping on it constantly, who knows? Better be safe then sorry.

Moss sounds cool, but also, be carefull about the toxicity, it's something that's going to be there for forever. Water dripping on it constantly, who knows? Better be safe then sorry.

I was thinking of that, which is why I asked. I may put it around the base of the branches and driftwood which is attached to the background. This way I could replace it every couple weeks. I could even use metal ties which can poke through the foam and tie it on there. This way I can easily replace it.

Last edited:
Alright, cage almost done. Foam cured. Latex paint and a little topical spray paint done. Attached the background to the frame of the cage. All that is left is adding the additional fencing on the sides for easier climbing. I will post pics of the cage tomorrow.

In my haste, I forgot to take pics of the entire process but it was pretty easy. Just need the patience for each step to cure/dry. Attaching to the frame worked out pretty well. I added moss and tied off with little metal wire. This way I can easily remove to replace often.

The great stuff didn't melt at all. I used 3 of them and 1 of another brand of similar product. The other was horrible. So, I recommend to only use the great stuff.

Pics to follow.

Back
Top Bottom