Question on F00D~

ChamHead

hi there...i feed my 3 months plus female veiled almost 8 crickets daily...and coated with calsium all the time...is this enough? and will she be overfeed or obese if i feed more?

Thanks!

kinyonga

Chameleon Enthusiast
However, if you feed them too much once they are sexually mature, you will end up with larger clutches. Veiled females can lay eggs without being with a male...so its important once they are over 5 months old to provide a suitable egglaying container in the cage so they have somewhere to dig to show you that they are going to lay eggs. Failure to provide her with a place to lay eggs can lead to egg binding and eventually, death.

Is your calcium phosphorous free? Insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phos.

Do you provide her with UVB light/sunlight (that doesn't pass through glass or plastic) so that she can produce vitamin D3 so that she can use the calcium?

Do you gutload the insects with a nutritious diet? Remember...whatever goes into the insects/whatever state of health your insects are in affects your chameleon.

Do you use vitamins and calcium/D3 to dust with? Are your basking temperatures appropriate? Vitamin A from a preformed source and vitamin D3 from supplements can build up in the system, so you need to be careful not to overdo these. Beta carotene sources of vitamin A won't build up, but there is some controversy as to chameleons needing some preformed.

Top Bottom