Question about the horns

elfkin

OKay

So we are new to the chameleon thing and have a baby veiled.
But when we went to a reptile show over the weekend we saw a Jackson's chameleon (the one with the 3 horns right?) in a cage with 3 others. 1 of them had a broken horn or it was missing part of the horn. There was only 1 in the tank that had all 3 horns that looked normal.

So my question is about the horns. Do they grow back? How do they get broken like that?:confused:
My little girl and I were wondering and figured someone on here would know.:)

Thanks ya'll

as far as i know they do not grow back :( they can get broken a number of ways from scraping on the screen caging to handling em.. The horns are fragil they feel almost like a finger nail. I have one of those lil guys yeah its a jackson.. there are sub species.. not shure of all the names of em but they have always been my faveorite like a mimi triceratops :)

Good question about the jackson's. They can break a horn a number of ways. Crowding a number of them together in a cage can play a part, as well as shipping without correct packing, a fall, a jump (yes they do jump) or just everyday stuff like cage rubbing to remove shed. I have 4 jacksons and one is a rescue who has some issues, but even when horns can never grow back you can have a wonderful chameleon even with a broken horn.

There are other species that have three horns like that (johnstoni, werneri, deremensis, etc.), but Jackson's are by far the most common and being at a reptile show, I'd be willing to bet they were Jackson's.

Back
Top Bottom