Question about Silkworms

Nrupaw

Established Member
So I bought a cup of "small" Silkworms online. It got delivered fine, all the worms were alive. 0.5 inches small. I tried to move the silkworms from the cup into another container (see image below). I managed to move almost 70% (approx) of them into without any issues but almost 30% of the worms were behind the mesh in the cup and i couldn't get to them. Over the next 2-3 days as worms came out from behind the plastic mesh into the center of the cup, I moved them into the new container but then eventually, mold developed in the cup and i had to throw them away.

It seemed like a waste of perfectly good worms that had i gotten to, would have made a good meal for my Chameleon.

My question is, anyone out there face this same issue? what's the best way for you guys to move silkworms from shipping cup into a separate container?? Any tips or tricks i could use next time?

p.s. I did try to pull on the mesh in the cup when i first got it to see if i could transfer all the contents but the chow was pretty well packed in and i couldn't take it all out.

61495d1344226996-my-first-cham-setup-photo-9.jpg

61496d1344227023-my-first-cham-setup-photo-10.jpg

You want to purchase silks and chow separately. Then transfer them to your larger container upon arrival. Pods are meant to be used as the silks home and food source in one.

First I remove all the silks that I can and then I just cut the staples that hold the mesh trellis, and remove the trellis. This releases the chow then, once you remove the trellis. Take the chunk of chow and set it in a tupperware container with all the silks with no lid. They don't climb out. Seems to work great for me all the time!!! And BriAalme is right, but I transfer them as soon as they start to get a little bigger. You can leave them in the container for awhile if you want or until they get big, but it gets quite messy in that little pod with all the poop getting caught up in the trellis.

You want to purchase silks and chow separately. Then transfer them to your larger container upon arrival. Pods are meant to be used as the silks home and food source in one.

I did buy the silkies and chow seperately. But the cup in which the silkies arrived in had the mesh, behind which all the tiny silkworms hid.

First I remove all the silks that I can and then I just cut the staples that hold the mesh trellis, and remove the trellis. This releases the chow then, once you remove the trellis. Take the chunk of chow and set it in a tupperware container with all the silks with no lid. They don't climb out. Seems to work great for me all the time!!! And BriAalme is right, but I transfer them as soon as they start to get a little bigger. You can leave them in the container for awhile if you want or until they get big, but it gets quite messy in that little pod with all the poop getting caught up in the trellis.

I will certainly try and take the stples out next time. See how it goes! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom